Dry hatch quail????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jwatts, Mar 6, 2013.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I am getting ready to do my first run of quail on my DIY wine fridge incubator. I am wodering what humidiity % levels the dry hatch method is? During a trial run on incubating i can get about 30-40% During the hatch part ( i use a different tray with sponges) i can get the humidity up to about 60-70%

2. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    Good luck let us know how it works out.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Dry hatching quail requires very little water added to your incubator. What you are aiming to do is to humidify the ROOM temp where these eggs are going to be incubated so that the air circulating thru the bator is already saturated. You would only add tiny amounts of water to the incubator and let the outside air do the moisturizing.

You will need to pay close attention to the weight loss of the growing embryos if you do a dry hatch. Monitor the air chamber development all the way to the end to make sure you are not losing too much moisture or not enough.

Good luck!

Edit to add: I had mistakenly said egg chamber and I had meant to say "air" chamber. LOL

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    So if you are in say LA. This is feasible. But at my house in Alaska in the winter with forced air heat. Not so much.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My area neither. 25% outside air humidity is a really humid day for this state year round! LOL

6. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    LOL here in north carolina you prob. could leave the incubator door open on the bator in the summer if you could keep the heat on 99.5 . Summers here are hummmiiiiddd.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by