Dry hatching?? 2 needed help...taking suggestions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chick_newbie, Aug 29, 2008.

1. chick_newbie

chick_newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    I have 10 new little chicks but for some reason 2 of the chicks were dry hatching. The one got stuck to the egg carton and the little wing is now sticking up, will it heal??? The second one had to have help getting out of the egg itself and the egg shell was stuck to the carton. This one also has a large belly. Is this maybe a birth defect??? The other 8 chicks hatched without a problem and there are a few more pipping and zipping now. The humidity had dropped to 49% and I did put a paper towel in the bator to bring up the humidity and it is now58%. Any other suggestions to try to help these out???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Did you open the incubator at any time during the hatch?

Loss of humidity from the incubator being opened and hatching environment compromised can cause these problems.

3. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    We did but I watched the humidity really closely. Although my son may have opened it today without me knowing and lowered the humidity that way. With the humidity back up will the rest of the hatching be OK?

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Even when the humidity comes back up the hatching environment that has been building has changed and won't recover once you open that lid.

It is best to leave the chicks alone, keep the humidity at 70% until the hatch is over. A chick doesn't have to eat for 48 - 72 hours after hatch. They are fine left in the bator 24 - 36 hours.

There is no way to tell if the other eggs will hatch or not.

When you stop turning on day 18 and boost the humidity to 70% - sit on your hands. don't touch the bator and don't open it.

Alot of hatches are lost due to human hands. You find people who say they open the bators and such and have successful hatches but this is not the norm and alot of new hatchers think 1 or 2 chicks hatching out of many eggs is a success when it is not.

5. chick_newbie

Jun 15, 2008
    South Dakota
    My mistake. [​IMG] I have had WAY too much on my mind the last couple of days. I will have to remember this for the next attempts. I started with 24 eggs and had 4 duds to begin with. So out of the 20 eggs left in the bator to hatch, 8 came out great, 2 iffy ones with the problems, at least 3 with holes and movement inside. Some of the eggs were too dark to see when candling them so I really don't know if they were any good to begin with.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by