Dry hatching humidity

Fluffybutts1383

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
For those who have dry hatched successfully…..
What did your humidity run throughout incubation?
Did you add any water at all?
Did you use the readings on the incubator or did you have something to compare?

I’m running a dry hatch with shipped silkie eggs and I ran a dry hatch last year with an almost perfect hatch rate but it was summer and the natural humidity was higher. I can’t remember what the incubator humidity ran last time but I feel like it was higher and I live in upstate NY where the snow is just finally melting away so heat is still on and houses are dry. They’ve only been in the incubator for 3 days and I have them sitting upright in egg cartons to help with the air cells attaching but tonight I will be candling and laying down the ones with attached air cells to begin turning them.

id say it depends on your incubator and how you set it up .. what i would worry about is eveness of temp throughout the bator .. up/down level and end to end .. humidity effects that .. i would 'not' want less than 45% or so myself .. but your bator may keep things even at parched humidity levels only you know that .. i dont see what the big deal is about water, but i might be missing something .. the easiest way to handle water so it doesnt make a mess in the bator is use another container for it in the bottom, a lid(s) or something and just refill when they dry out every 3 days or whatever .. you could use a syringe, squeeze bottle etc to facilitate that ..

id say it depends on your incubator and how you set it up .. what i would worry about is eveness of temp throughout the bator .. up/down level and end to end .. humidity effects that .. i would 'not' want less than 45% or so myself .. but your bator may keep things even at parched humidity levels only you know that .. i dont see what the big deal is about water, but i might be missing something .. the easiest way to handle water so it doesnt make a mess in the bator is use another container for it in the bottom, a lid(s) or something and just refill when they dry out every 3 days or whatever .. you could use a syringe, squeeze bottle etc to facilitate that ..

I think it might be the hydrometer and temp the one we just bought from Amazon is reading 62% and 89.6 degrees but the incubator is reading 100.5 and 51%
Too high

Digital is always off, I also use a "dial" humidity reader, what ever it is called. My dial I trust says 50% with no water.

My incubator is a foam. I live in a dry climate.

How did your hatch go? My silkie eggs arrive today, so im trying to get the incubator perfect for tomorrow.
Cant decide if i want to try and dry hatch them or not....

How did your hatch go? My silkie eggs arrive today, so im trying to get the incubator perfect for tomorrow.
Cant decide if i want to try and dry hatch them or not....
Hatched 7/9! Kept the humidity close to 30 for the entire incubation and increased it to 65 for lockdown. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom