Dry Hatching or Not, Success Rate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurynRose, May 5, 2016.

1. LaurynRose

LaurynRose Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2015
    Missouri
    I am in 4h and for my experiment I am building an incubator. I was wondering if you use the dry method or wet method and why. Also, could you explain how you incubate? Like your humidity range and temperature range? Right now I am testing my incubator with out eggs and it stays at about 101 degrees fare height with 60% humidity. I have a lot of water in it right now though. Thank you so much for any feedback[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    I usally shoot for 45% for first 18 days.. 70 % last 3 days

3. TurksPoultry

TurksPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    I live in Southern Louisiana so my ambient humidity outdoors is about 40% on a good day, but sometimes you can drink the air. That said, I never need add water to my bator before lockdown. It is fan forced so it does stay semi dryer in there than out here, usually at 30ish% unless it storms. I measure the water loss by watching the air cells, consisting of candling the eggs and tracing the air cells. If they're too large than I could add water, but that's never been the case. As a matter fact, because I once had such large eggs with thick shells, they didn't loose enough moisture, I didn't even add any water at lockdown.

Moral of the story, there's more ways to incubate than we can list. Eggs are Made to Hatch, and a lot of what u will do depends on what is avalible to you, and what your areas humidity and temps are like.

4. TurksPoultry

TurksPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used to have another one that i can't seem to find also, I'll try to find and post it tommorow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by