1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dry hatching?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kerrysmommy, Oct 16, 2011.

1. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    i have only heard of this term a few times. i have no clue what it is.......can someone please tell me what this is and if it is better than an incubator??????

2. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    any one?????

3. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Its when you don't add any water to your incubator until the last 3 days, unless it drops below 25%. I really don't know what they shoot for the last 3 days, somewhere there is a threat on it. Just type dry hatching in the search and I'm sure you will find it.
    Michele

4. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    thanks Michele

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have done dry incubating. But I do add water about halfway through. Then for hatching I do fill the second water pot.

My hatch rate for shipped eggs is about 50%, which is decent for shipped eggs. It does matter where you live and what your humidity is like inside your home, IMO.

You most likely will have to experiment with what works the best for you.

6. kerrysmommy

Mar 15, 2010
    i can not seem to find anything about dry hatching..........can someone please tell me the steps and info on it?????
    thanks
    court

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    from what i understand it is not adding any water what so ever till lookdown when the humidity should be raised to 65-70

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by