Dry heaves/yawning?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenplucker, Jul 3, 2008.

1. chickenplucker

chickenplucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Iowa
    One of our barred rocks has started doing this thing where she looks like she's either dry heaving or just yawning constantly. She's about 18 weeks or so and has been doing this a couple days.

It's been pretty hot here, but we have fans going in the barn (they roam around the barn and outside the barn), lots of water to drink and there is always food in the feeders for them. I don't know if the heat would have anything to do with it, but thought I'd throw that out there. Any ideas?

2. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I noticed my barred rock doing this the other day too. She is about 5 months+ and she seemed off all day, sleeping a lot, eyes closed, not scratching as much as normal. I was worried.

That day she laid her first egg!

Hopefully you have the same "problem".

3. chickenplucker

chickenplucker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2008
    Iowa
    Thank you! I sure hope that's what it is! I was out there watching her for awhile this afternoon and she wasn't doing it anymore. I have one girl laying right now, but haven't figured out which one of the 10 it is. Maybe she's the one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by