Dry incubating duck eggs - Final count: three ducklings *PICS*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gypsy07, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I ended up dry incubating my duck eggs after day 10 when I realised they weren't losing moisture fast enough. I ignored all the standard stuff about duck eggs needing more humidity than chicken eggs and just went with my trusty set of digital scales, Brinsea's recommendation of a 15% weight loss, and some common sense. Come lockdown I bumped my humidity from 30% to 75-80% and sat back to wait...

The first one pipped yesterday morning, and did nothing more for well over a day. Having read about ducklings on this forum, I knew they normally take much longer than chickens to hatch, so I refused to get concerned. I went off out to work this morning, and came back home this evening to a huge beefy duckling just about filling my little incubator. Wow! I also have one more pipped, and another egg rocking and rolling in there.

Conclusion: If you're not sure what humidity to go with, weigh your eggs and you can get it right first time. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Congrats! [​IMG] Glad dry hatching worked for you [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Woohoo!! [​IMG]

But...uh...where is the picture? [​IMG] ( [​IMG] )

~ Aspen

4. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    A full day later... the second one just hatched out too!

Here's the photo - right after the second one hatched:
    [​IMG]

I had no idea baby ducks were so much cuter than baby chickens!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Adorable, well done! Hope they all keep popping out like that!

6. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Ooooh too cute! What kind are they? You will love ducks, they are so funny.

You and I need to have a chat about all this weighing business! I'm having awful hatching results and I'm sure it's a humidity thing so I need to try something different.

7. Gypsy07

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Sadly, I think that's probably it. I started off with 18 eggs but my trusty old bator suddenly went wonky and cooked them all to 105F before I noticed what was happening. I'm surprised any of them survived, really. I transferred them all to a homemade still air styro bator that I bought in an extreme hurry, and it turned out to be no better at holding a steady temp. Ten had been cooked to death, but eight continued to develop through huge temp swings and erratic hand turning. I put all eight in lockdown, though I was sure two had already died. Two days ago there was another egg rocking, but it seems to have stopped now. Sad, but I have a fairly strict policy of not intervening unless I am sure they are stuck due to low lockdown humidity, which definitely wasn't the case here. Harsh maybe, but I have no desire to hatch out weak chicks. And after what these two ahve been through, they're probably the strongest ducklings in existence!

I was incubating them for a friend, and I spoke to him today and asked for another 18 eggs. I now have a very posh fancypants Brinsea EX with the automatic humidity pump, so I'm sure I'll be able to do better second time around. I'm just glad I got two out with this hatch and not only one. That would have been awful...

8. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    Oh what a shame. Sounds like you did really well to get the two then.

9. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Congrats on the two, at least.

When I tried duck and goose eggs at a lower humidity during incubation, they came out all sticky with a lot of albumen and membrane stuck to their backs. It did slough off in a couple of days, but I had to help a couple because they were stuck to the shell.

I didn't have that problem at all with quail incubated in the same humidity range, around 40% during incubation and 55 to 60% initial during hatch.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Quote:Oh, such cuteness! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing!! [​IMG]

Ducklings are pretty stink'in cute! [​IMG]

~Aspen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by