Dry Incubating vs Wet

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RodNTN, Apr 16, 2017.

1. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi everyone! This is my first time hatching, and I set 12 Ayam Cemani eggs a few days ago. I am using the dry method, since people said that it works better. I am using the Hova Bator 1602n, and the temp has been 98*-99*, for over 2 weeks now, so its keeping a very steady temp! I haven't added any water, and I have left the 2 vent plugs out.

I am going to be candling this Wednesday, and I am doing everything right?

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    The dry part of "dry incubation" is kind of misleading. It's dryer than the normal recommended % but not necessarily an absence of water. I think it should be called "low humidity incubation"Depending on what time of year I am incubating, sometimes I need to add some water and other times not. Depends on your room humidity. I prefer to maintain about 35% during the first 18 days and 70% for the last 3. If I am running heat for the house, I will have to add some water to the incubator to maintain that 35%. Watch those air cells. They will tell you if you need to make adjustments, if they are growing to fast, you need to add some water to increase humidity in there. Good luck.

3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Okay, thanks a lot! Lots of helpful info!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Originally the 1602N was still air. If you don't have forced air, the temps need to be 101-102F taken near the tops of the eggs.
    I prefer 30% for standard size eggs, days 1-17. During late fall to early spring I need to add a wet sponge to maintain this. Late spring summer, I can usually run dry. You need to let the air cells guide you. I use this method: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

5. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Thanks! It is very humid outside right now, so I think that humidity is good for now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by