Dry Incubating???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Oct 3, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I have heard of dry incubating, and I saw an article about it, but I still don't understand it.(yes, very dumb of me [​IMG])
    I have read that it increases hatch rate by A LOT, sometimes from 50% to 90%! :eek: So when I start hatching out some eggs again, I want to try it, but I need to know how first.

Any advise? [​IMG]

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Hmm... what exactly are you looking for?
    You don't add any water unless the humidity has dropped to 25%. That's probably the most important part I think. I'm dry incubating this clutch and have only removed 5 eggs at Day 13. There's still 2 dozen in there.

Good luck

3. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:NO WATER AT ALL???(unless lie you said, it drops to 25%) But won't the chick get stuck to the membrane inside? [​IMG]

And what do you mean by "what exactly are you looking for?"? [​IMG]
    Thanks! [​IMG]

Good luck with your batch of eggs! [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I don't add any water unless humidity gets below 30% for days 1-18, then for days 19-21 I put it to about 58-63%. This works great for me and has hugely increased my hatch rate as I was losing a lot of *wet* chicks

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Nope, no water. My redwood runs at 26-30% humidity without water. Works well for me.

When I asked what you were looking for, I meant if you read articles then you should know exactly what you're supposed to do. It's black and white. I meant what do you need advice wise... like I said, IMO the lower humidity in the beginning is very important.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    OK I get it better now. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the replies! [​IMG]

7. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I haven't hatched chicks before(although I have tried but failed)

What about styrofoam bators? Do the same things for hum. apply to them, too?

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    2 of my bators/hatchers are styro, works fine [​IMG]

9. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    With low humidity you get an increase in the size of the air sac. That does not cause problems? I am clueless, just wondering.

10. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    I have never heard of this. I am about to incubate with incubators for the very first time. Would you suggest dry incubation for a newbie? or only an experienced hatcher?

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by