DRY INCUBATING

Discussion in 'Nutrition - Sponsored by Purina Poultry' started by lilcougar4, Mar 11, 2015.

1. lilcougar4

lilcougar4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Lake Isabella,California
    I hear others talking about dry incubating and wanted to know what it meant ?

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    It means adding NO water to the incubator, just getting humidity from the air and eggs themselves. Works well in areas of naturally higher humidity.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  3. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    Given that humidity requirements are different for eggs from different species and even change for eggs of the same specie as they develop, using a traditional incubator is probably a more reliable way to hatch eggs for most of us.

4. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

After 2 unsuccessful attempts to hatch last year conventionally, I went to a dry hatch and had great success..

Just open the vents in the incubator and watch the eggs.

5. DrMikelleRoeder

DrMikelleRoeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2014
    I am glad you had good success. It is such a fun event to observe! It would never have worked where I used to live. Sometimes the humidity there was as low as 7%!!

6. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    I'm dry incubating right now since we are in the ''rainy season'' here and the humidity is 65% with out water. I'm very curious to see how it goes.

7. elorraine52

elorraine52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    south central MO
    how did your hatch go? I've set eggs using the dry method this week (Mon.) the bator read 16% before I put the eggs in, now reads 32%, the room humidity is 70%. No water in the bator, it's an LG with a turner and a fan installed. These are mostly Marans eggs, with a few blue and splash Ams.

8. duluthralphie

I have to be honest here. I just finished a hatch. I used the dry method and it went well, EXCEPT, the hatch got spread out. I have no idea why, but there was 4 days of hatching. The last two chicks to hatch were dry, one never did fluff up and died.

I have been experimenting with my empty hatcher, I will continue to dry hatch, but I am now going to add a small pill bottle of water to the hatcher, which brings the hatcher up to 50%. If the hatch had been shorter I would not have the problem.

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Did you not ever add any water? Not even in the last 3 days? I believe most folks who dry incubate still increase the humidity during the last days.

10. duluthralphie

I did not add any water..

The humidity went to 75% when they started to hatch...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by