Dry incubation and Normal incubation simultaneously!?! **UPDATE PG.2**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    my bator was not working right how it supposed to be! [​IMG]
    I had the thermometer/hygrometer on the left side of the bator and the humidity was at 30% I was adding water to the right side of the bator and it the humidity was not going up? [​IMG] I grabed one egg from each side and the right side egg was watery or in other words had moisture while the left one wasn't! [​IMG] so I grabed the thermometer and I put it on the right side and it read 101.8 f temp. and humidity 47% !!!! while in the left side was 101.8 f temp. and humidity 31% !!!! so if I add a cup of water to the left side it will go up! since i've been adding cups of water to the right side it was only giving moisture to the right side DUH!! but Im just wondering if I can leave it like that for the 18 days then on the last 3 days I will put the humidity equally (60%) or do I have to put it the same???

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    what kind of bator do you have? and is it a still air or forced air bator?

3. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    it is a LG still air. I already added to the other side so they can be the same. the left side is 45% and right side 47% and middle 45%-46% but I really don't care of the middle because I moved the eggs close to the thermometers

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  4. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I use a sponge or wash cloth on one side and see who that works. for the last 18 days. From what I have been told, IF you keep the humidity between 30% and 50ish% you will be fine all the way. Sounds like you have a still air. If you have access to a dead computer try an scavage the fan out of it and put it in the incubator. That will help.
    good luck with your hatch
    Bill

5. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i have lg's and for days 1-18 i just add water to the middle tray, and keep my humidty at 30 to 40%, and on day 18 i bring it up to 45 to 55% for the hatch

6. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm sorry to ask this here but I didn't know where else to go. I was just e-mailed and this person told me for no good reason that my signature was wrong. that yolk is what the chick eats not the chick. and I am almost 99% sure that the yold is the chick itself. please tell me i'm right.???

7. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:you are right.. and she might be confused because at the end of incubation the chick does absorb the rest of the yolk, thus giving the illusion of eating?? (through it's abdomen)

8. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi jvls1942
    I am a rookie myself. I believe from candling that the yoke is the fuel for the little chick and if you seeing an egg opened early, you see the blood vessel webbing that occurs outside the yoke. Plus I had chicks hatched that quite hadn't absobed all the yoke, and you read your suppose to up the humidity and leave the chick in the incubator till all the yoke is absorbed. So, there again a bid for the yoke as the food for the chick to develope
    take care
    Bill

9. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    [​IMG] Interesting about the humidity. I've never checked BOTH sides, and I have 2 LG's and 2 Hovas...

10. Birdgirl

Birdgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Oh now I don't like you LOL I'm kidding. I think I need to open up my own post where should I go? I think this person needs to know the truth, they told me they teach a college class on babies life or something along those lines. Thanks for telling me what you think though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by