Dry Incubation Method w/ GQF Cabnet incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Litewings, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Litewings

Litewings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Is anyone using the dry incubation method with a GQF cabnet incubator. I'm planning on trying that next time I incubate.

Does this sound right?

Temp. 100 degrees
    Hum. 30% to 35% for days 1 - 18
    65% for hatching.

(Add water if Hum. drops below 25%.

[​IMG]

Litewings

2. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    yes it sounds right I do dry incubation and the only thing I do different is the humidity the last three days I keep about 58 to 60 percent. A lot will tell you to go 65 but I have hatched for years and use to do the 65 percent and had a lot of drowned chicks. Since dropping my humidity to hatch my hatching percentage has more then doubled. Do what you want but this is my own experience. Also very important do not open that incubator once you put them in for hatch. Also some will disagree but after you lose enough chicks to doing this you will understand what I mean. Been there done it. Good luck

3. Litewings

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Thanks Jamie821
    I'll make a note to keep the last 3 days down to 58-60%. I've read not to open the incubator for 5 days after day 18 when the eggs are moved to the hatcher. Is it true that a chick can last for 72 hours after hatching before being removed from the hatcher?

Litewings

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Litewings, follow Jamie821's words of wisdom. Finally someone else is here to tell it like it is. I know many will disagree with the dry method, but I don't drown any chicks. The humidity never gets above 60 and my hatch rate is good. Then again I don't candle my eggs but twice. The first time just before I put them in the bator,
    this stops me from putting a cracked egg in the bator, the next time is on day 18, then I only take out the for sure infertile eggs. Anything that looks like it might make it stays in until day 25, after that it better be moving and piping or it goes.

5. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    more then likely litewings the hatched chicks wont hatch till day 20 to 21 so they wouldnt be in there that long. I do take out chicks that have been hatched for 48 hours even if there is still eggs to hatch but quickly and only if no other eggs are pipped. Then I put warm water in quickly to bring humidity back up. They say chicks can stay in there for 36 hours but I think that is pushing it a bit, they can live off their yolks but the hatcher is hot and i think 48 hours is long enough without water. The five days they are talking about includes the days before they hatch. So you are taking two to three days off right there. Any eggs that have not hatched at that time take chicks out and leave eggs in there for a couple more days at least just in case they are a little later.

6. Litewings

Oct 25, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the great info.

Litewings [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by