Dry Incubation **NOW WITH PHOTOS!** - How Low is Too Low? 10% Humidity**ANSWERED: NO.**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChaddiX, Jan 11, 2012.

1. ChaddiX

ChaddiX Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello Everyone!

I've got bantam and standard size eggs in a HOVABATOR 1588 Genesis and they've been in for 6 days at 10% humidity. Is that too low if I'm using Worrell's Dry Incubation method? I read the article and it's a little misleading as to what the actual hygrometer reading should be.

Thanks in advance,

CHAD

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    I try do dry hatch at around 30% humidity. I live in SoCal and right now I have to add some moisture to keep my humidity at that level.

3. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    I am learning to hatch. due Jan 28th. I am doing dry incubation, mine reads 16% I I am going to add water for little humity this weekend. Last few days during lockout, increase humidity by adding a sponge..

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I don't even use a hygrometer any more- at all.

There is a link in my signature to my incubation page, and it might help a bit.

5. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    ChooksChick, you might have to update your link...it's coming up as an error...

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Welllllllllll CRAP SANDWICHES! I'll fix it.

Here: http://goo.gl/M2EWv

7. ncmtngal

ncmtngal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    ChooksChick,

Thanks so much for this info on dry incubation. I really appreciate your willingness to share your knowledge.

One question - in the beginning of your instructions you say to completely ignore humidity but the last paragraph in Q&A says to not let the humidity drop below 20%. Is this just for the last few days?
    I'm asking because my hygrometer - before adding eggs - reads 10%

Kerri in NC

8. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    THANKS for sharing your experience. I read your page and tried it also. It works GREAT!!!!! [​IMG]

9. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    In my limited experience, under 20% is too low. I get into those danger zones during winter hatches when the inside air is very very dry since we heat with a pellet stove. I had much better results in the 20-30% dry incubation range.

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Yea, me too. I keep my humidity as close to 28% as I can. On day 18, I fill all the channels.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by