Dry Incubation or Normal Incubation?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SamCox, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Dry Incubation

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Normal Incubation

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. SamCox

SamCox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    Hey guys I have put the incubator on today and am placing the eggs in tomorrow. I was just wondering what Incubation technique you all use? I haven't decided on how I'm going to do it yet. I'm hatching 12 wyandotte's in the colours Millefleur, Silver Laced and Blue laced red, 8 salmon faverolles and 4 buff laced. If you could comment on what techniques you use for incubation that would be awesome [​IMG]

Thanks Sam

2. dawnh

dawnh Chillin' With My Peeps

I do dry, purely because the natural humidity in my incubator is around 30/40% :) That and I'm too lazy to keep topping it up with water!

3. SamCox

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    What are your hatch rates like for dry incubation? What is the desired humidity?

4. dawnh

dawnh Chillin' With My Peeps

To be honest, I've only done 2 hatches in my incy :) First hatch I got 6 from 10 and this one currently has 4 pipped from 6. The reading that I've done suggests 30/40% for days 1-18,then anywhere between 60/75% for days 19-21%.I'm on day 20 and my hygrometer is reading 70% :)

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    You will get a different answer for every different person who posts, lol... really, each person has learned what works for them in their environment and in which type of incubator they use...

The trend I have been seeing is (in general) that if you live in an area with low ambient humidity, then you add some water to the bator... if your area has high ambient humidity, dry seems to work better...

And styro type bators lose humidity more than a hard plastic (like Brinsea) or a cabinet incubator does, so water usually needs to be added more often in those as well...

Personally, I incubate dry... but our humidity matches or exceeds our temps here most of the time, lol... :)

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. SamCox

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    I have a janoel 24 egg incubator (which is plastic) I have put some water in and it is currently holding the humidity at 34% to 37%

7. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Sounds within good range... :)

8. SamCox

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    Cool what should I increase the humidity to in the last days of incubation? What day do you take the turning trays out?

Thanks

9. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Turner comes out on Day 18 and raise humidity to about 65% is average...

10. SamCox

Aug 13, 2015
    Victoria, Australia
    Thanks for your help [​IMG] I'm probably going to be asking quite a lot of questions since this is my first time hatching eggs so sorry if I start to get annoying [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by