"Dry" incubation question/experiences?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PeakyBeaky, Sep 13, 2011.

1. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Anyone have experience with this? We're going to give it a try...it's been so humid here with the hurricaine and tropical storm of late(our hatch rates have really fallen) PLUS we only have an LG....any ADVICE?

2. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    Hygrometer, Hygrometer, also dry hatch should not get below 25% humidity, usually are 30 to 40 % then 70% at lockdown so yes dry hatch may still need [some] moisture

3. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:I've got 2 on the way-hope I get them tomorrow [​IMG]

4. crazyeggs

crazyeggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Vermont
    I just completed a dry hatch with shipped eggs. I kept 30-35% up until day 18 then upped the humidity to @70%. Out of 16 eggs 9 hatched, 2 early quitters and 5 clears. All that made it to lockdown hatched and it was the best hatch rate with shipped eggs I have had. When I incubate next I will only do dry incubation.

5. PeakyBeaky

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Has anyone had to run a dehumidifier to keep the humidity in the correct range? Just wondering...I think it's too humid here.

6. HathawayHens

HathawayHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    DeLand, FL
    I would think that your heating element would naturally lower the humidity a bit, not to mention if you are going to do it inside vs outside. Set the bator up and see what your humidity is running without eggs first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by