Dry incubation

Chicken12367

Songster
5 Years
Oct 11, 2016
UK
Hi guys I'm currently incubating 6 chicken eggs in a Brinsea mini 2 advance and thought I would give dry incubation a try. The humidity in the incubator ranges from 35%-40% is that okay? The humidity in the room that the incubator is in varies from 50%-55%. Have any of you guys tried dry incubation and what were your results like? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds good.
Even when dry incubating, i will still add a little water if humidity goes below 25%.

Right now im dry incubating and my humidity is hovering between 40-50.
Living in the south will do that.... :)
Cool thanks for your reply, I'm dry incubating because on my previous hatch I filled one side of the water reservoir and throughout incubation the humidity remained around 55%-60%. I got 4 chicks out of 6 eggs. The 2 eggs that didn't hatch were bigger than the others and had small air cells when it came to day 18. I'm assuming that they didn't lose enough moisture and drowned whilst trying to hatch.

I'm curious as to how your dry hatch went? I'm researching the mini right now. I'm considering buying one because I would only consider small hatches...chick math. Lol.
I have broodies that do my hatching, but only on their terms.( I usually give my hens 4 to 7 eggs at a time)
Would you recommend the mini advanced?
Hi, the dry hatch was a success for me, chicks began popping out of the eggs on late day 20. 100% hatch rate if I minus the one egg that was infertile. The humidity stayed around 38% for most of the first part of incubation. I upped the humidity by filling both central water pots, this brought my humidity up to around 75% for hatching. I kept removing chicks from the incubator as they hatched to prevent them rolling other eggs over. I would definitely recommend the brinsea mini incubator, it’s fool proof. If you dry incubate it’s pretty much set and forget until day 18. The only negative is that once the chicks begin hatching it gets abit tight in the incubator with all the shells, chicks and eggs, that’s why I like to remove chicks as they hatch and move them to the brooder. 🙂

I had not thought about the space issue. I've never hatched at all so I have a lot to learn.
I've read so many articles and posts lately that stress how important humidity is. I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to open the incubator after day 18 until all eggs hatched. Are you able to do so because of elevated humidity in your area or because of the humidity in the incubator?
I’ve done 3 hatches in the
I had not thought about the space issue. I've never hatched at all so I have a lot to learn.
I've read so many articles and posts lately that stress how important humidity is. I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to open the incubator after day 18 until all eggs hatched. Are you able to do so because of elevated humidity in your area or because of the humidity in the incubator?
I’ve done 3 hatches in the brinsea mini and I’ve always removed chicks as they hatched. Because of its small size I find that it climbs back up to humidity very quickly. As long as you quickly lift it, don’t turn it upside down, pull out the chicks and shells and place the lid back you will be fine. I find that having a higher humidity in lockdown does help because you don’t lose as much humidity when lifting the lid to remove the chicks.

Sounds good.
Even when dry incubating, i will still add a little water if humidity goes below 25%.

Right now im dry incubating and my humidity is hovering between 40-50.
Living in the south will do that.... :)

I'm curious as to how your dry hatch went? I'm researching the mini right now. I'm considering buying one because I would only consider small hatches...chick math. Lol.
I have broodies that do my hatching, but only on their terms.( I usually give my hens 4 to 7 eggs at a time)
Would you recommend the mini advanced?

Back
Top Bottom