1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dry incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenChaser34432, Sep 10, 2011.

1. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    I live in Florida. I was told that there is enough ambient humidity here that no h2o is needed in the bator. Anybody hear that b4? The peron who told me that is a local chicken farmer.

2. JustaJemIam

JustaJemIam Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    I don't know if I would chance it, we lost some eggs because of no water. We thought we had plenty of humidity here in the South but the bottom line is we should have followed the incubator instructions which was to add water! Good luck,

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You'll find that different humidities work for different ones of us. We all have different conditions. If you have a local mentor to help you through the process, that is a great resource. But beware that just because something works for one does not mean it works for all. Where you incubate, you may have a different humidity due to the air conditioning, for example.

My suggestion is to try a method, try being as consistent as you can throughout the incubation process, use eggs that are not real valuable until you start to achieve success, and analyze the results so you can see what you might need to change next time.

Good luck!!!

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Most of you should stop trying to chance the humidity, you guys need to get a hygrometer.

5. ki4got

ki4got Hatch-a-Holic

Apr 24, 2011
    Roanoke VA
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

6. ChickenChaser34432

ChickenChaser34432 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    At Liberty Farm
    Quote:X2 [​IMG]

I have a digital one and use it! I was just curious if anyone had used this method or had any additional info about it.

7. chickenlover2251

chickenlover2251 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2011
    I'm in Florida and have eggs in the incubator right now. I am still using water for humidity.

8. bald k9

bald k9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Rural Edwardsville
    From what I have read on dry hatching the RH should not get below 25% the eggs still need [some] moisture, there still is a little water for dry hatch depending on your location

9. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    I live in Oklahoma, Southern Oklahoma. I have a hygrometer, and I keep my hygrometer at 25 to 30 percent during the first 18 days, when I incubate chicken eggs. And the last 3 days I keep the humidity at 70%.

I add Zero water the first 18 days.

10. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Sorry I forgot to add, That my first Dry-Incubation was a 9 out of 9 hatch rate, and the second incubation was 10 out of 14. I Seriously recommend Dry-Incubation to everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by