Dry Incubation

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LALOM, Jun 4, 2012.

1. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I plan on doing a dry incubation starting tommorrow. Does this mean to add no water? Should I keep my Humidity around 30% and increase to 65 on lockdown? Im using a Reptipro 6000. I'm planning to keep my temp at 99.5. How do I calibrate this Thermometer/Hygrometer.http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyEbay&gbh=1&CurrentPage=MyeBayWon&ssPageName=STRK:ME:LNLK:MEWNX

What are yalls opinion on this thermometer? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Brinsea...009?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46042facc9.

All answers and advise greatly apperciated.

2. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Songster

May 1, 2012
    The thermometer is great! i have 2 of them with 0,1 deference checked and tested
    you can try dry incubation (no water ) but if you see it going under 30% you add water all depends on the humidity of your location personally never dare i keep my humidity around 45 - 50% for the first 18 days

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    The spot check? This will be my second attempt. My first time I kept my humidity at 50% had 5 power outages though on day 2,14,20,22,23. Regardless 7 out of 10 fully developed but died in the shell. My humidity was kept at 70% on lockdown but I believe my hygrometer and thermometer were way off.

4. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Songster

May 1, 2012
    The spot check thermometer is very good i calibrate all my thermometers with it and it proofed accurate

After thought : i think your problem was the temperature not the humidity

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  5. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    Thank You . I havent purchased it but I will this week.[​IMG]

I also think it could of been the temperature.In a still air hovabator I kept my temp 102 on top of the eggs all three thermometers read the same Day 1-18 but on lockdown all of them read different so I was clueless on the temp. On day 21 my hygrometers started to fail.

6. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Songster

May 1, 2012
    it will help a lot if you install a fan that is what i did on mine and it is affordable

7. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I should recieve a new incubator tommorrow with a fan. A Reptipro 6000. Hopefully that will help

8. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    BTW Nice roo in your avatar. What is it?

9. Yiannisk

Yiannisk Songster

May 1, 2012
    wish i new he will be in a week one year old it came out of an egg a friend gave me last year i almost butcher him he is very aggressive but then i thought he is only doing his job and very well protecting his flock i am the only one that can enter the coop and get out unharmed not always he he !

10. LALOM

LALOM In the Brooder

May 13, 2012
    I use to think t was the funniest thing when my rooster use to chase anyone that got near the hens lol unfortunally he died two weeks ago. Now I feel like the whole flock is unprotected hope to get a rooster soon. BTW I order the spot thermometer today.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: