Dry Incubation

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jimlas, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jimlas

jimlas Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I was wondering more about dry incubation methods. I started of last year with two bad hatches of ducks as I read high humidity was important(75%) and the the air cells never grew big resulting in the death of all of my babies. That was the end of my effort last year as it was way to discouraging.
    After doing a lot more research, I came to the conclusion that the humidity was to high and decided to plunge in again this year with some Khaki Cambells. I have 18 right now doing really well, or it seems, but I still think the humidity was a little to high, even though I was keeping it down to 45-55 and the air cells were just not growing. I decided to take all water out of the bator and run it like that for a week to see if that would change anything. Today is day 16 as well.
    I really need some sound advice. When I candled them last night it did look like a couple of the eggs had bigger air cells and that was good, but I am not sure I am doing the right thing. Also, should I mist if the air cells are not big enough yet???
    Thank you!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I haven't done ducks so hopefully someone will chime in but I think tracking the air cells is a good technique till you get the humidity right.

3. novanod1966

novanod1966 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    western North Carolina
    I have done several hatches of ducks( most being call ducks, another set of problems in their own right). From what I,ve read, duck and goose incubation sticky on here, humidity can run down to 30% until lockdown. Then bump it up to 50-70%. I've had very limited success with call duck hatching, there again a different set of problems can occur.

Good luck,

Don

4. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    That is what I find as well. The opinion on humidity is different for everyone. I guess the best thing I can do is keep an eye on those air cells and try to figure it out from there. I hate the thought of loosing babies after watching them grow for so long. Last year I was losing them left and right through the incubation period and so far on day 16 I have lost only two out of 20 and those were early one so Lord willing this hatch will be different.
    Thank you :eek:)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. novanod1966

novanod1966 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2012
    western North Carolina
    I had 40 call duck eggs that I set. Out off all them I got 4 hatchlings. When I opened the rest up to see what had happened, I found every egg had a feathered out baby ( fully formed, ready to hatch) dead... I was very discouraged. So now here I am again with call duck in the bator again....

6. Grassman 52

Grassman 52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Ludlow Mass
    I have posted a few threads on my problems hatching Muscovy duck eggs - This is what I have found so far.

It is easier to track the air cell size in chickens by candling - with ducks weigh your eggs on a gram scale.

The air cell will look small but the weigh is right on track - towards the end of incubation the air cells will increase a lot, so watch the weight and trust that you are doing the right thing.

Start with your humidity around 50% and adjust by weight.

Make sure your temp is steady, I purchased a "spot check" and noted that my temp was off 1 degree and I made adjustments.

I track temp and humidity daily and every Saturday I weigh my eggs and take the average weight loss.

My hatch rates are starting to move up [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  7. jimlas

May 17, 2011
    Okay, maybe I will not panic yet :eek:)
    What about misting the eggs? Should I definitely cool and mist once a day??

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by