1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

dry incubation??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adiekaty, Aug 22, 2013.

1. adiekaty

adiekaty In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    I have some Serama eggs im going to incubate. Wondering if dry is better? I have a forced air styrofoam incubator. New to this, and dry air was recommended, so thats what im leaning towards. The humidity in the house is between 40-45% opinions please.. thks

2. chickarooo

chickarooo Chirping

Aug 21, 2013
    well dry air would be fine 40-45 is perfect you have to worry about a thing they will be fine

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing 5 Years

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I dry hatch in small homemade containers and the eggs create their own moisture. which is fine just don't open the bator too much.

4. adiekaty

adiekaty In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    awesome!!!! thanks

5. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Songster

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    Dry hatch all the way. Humidity above 20% day 1-18 is good. I had a low hatch and mushy chick when I was adding water before day 18, not pretty.

6. adiekaty

adiekaty In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    the humidity in house shows 35-40%, but when i have digital temp/humidity gauge in the bator, its showing 16% i need to add the eggs today, wanted to do the dry method, but thinking i need to add a bit of water to keep it around 40-45% then up the humidity to 55-60% during hatching?? I have failed twice, have some eggs in a bator now, due to hatch (fingers crossed) in two weeks.. but i am rally wanting the Seramas to be a successful hatch..

7. 3 NH reds

3 NH reds Songster

Dec 5, 2011
    Western Mass
    I find 30% works for me. Do a search here on dry hatch and you cand find some good info.

8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I just made this little hatcher, will probably have to do non-dry method in it though because it is tall. holds the heat good though, 25 watt bulb with heat shield.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. adiekaty

adiekaty In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Banner, Wyoming
    wow.. thats awesome.. You did a fabulous job on the incubator! Were planning on building one to, just haven't decided which route I'm going yet! I decided i couldn't completely do the dry method. The humidity was staying to low, even though the house was reading 40-45%, so I'm adding just enough water, to keep it around 30%.. but not going above 35%. I will candle on day 7, and update. The eggs were shipped, so I already know its gonna be tough. I have read Seramas are hard to hatch. I'm determined though!! Stay tuned!! :))

10. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have peeping eggs in my other incubator- not fancy, they are due on wed. and thurs. but the mom was sitting on the eggs a couple days before

I grabbed them so maybe a few sooner than wed.
    .[​IMG] up date: one pip hole.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: