Dry membrane over one eye... Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spookychick, Feb 22, 2009.

1. spookychick

spookychick Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my new little hatchlings came into the world yesterday with a lot of dry membrane stuck all over it. I placed the chick in a warm wet washcloth, which helped free-up most of the stuck places, but there's still a really hard patch of membrane blocking one of the eyes, and the baby is up and around now, and not willing to lay on the wet cloth so the membrane by the eye will soften up. Anybody have any suggestions on how to help? This membrane is like cement. Can't pull it off. Please help. I don't want it to be blind in one eye if there's anything I can do to remedy the situation.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I haven't had experience with this, but maybe some olive oil? That would stay moist longer than water. Good luck!

3. fowlfarm

fowlfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Apply warm water with a Q-tip several times daily, dont apply any oils that may irritate the eye unless it's formulated to go in the eye. Come to think of it I did see an eye ointment in a CVS pharmacy that would probably work. Hope this helps.

4. spookychick

Thanks for responding so quickly! I will try the Q-Tip method, and also look for some eye ointment when the farm supply opens later today. Chick seems to be doing good otherwise, so I hope all will be well in the long run. Not sure yet what breed it is. The egg was from a mix of feather footed fancies from MM. Nearest I can tell under all the sticky feathers is a buff to reddish chick. Egg was light brown. I hatched a gorgeous Blue Cochin from the same batch yesterday.

5. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    If you can't find an eye ointment perhaps saline would be gentler than water?

6. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can get the membrane softened, you might be able to gently lift it off of the eye with tweezers. You'd have to be careful, but at least you could free up the eye. That stuck membrane stuff can sure be a pain! [​IMG]

7. spookychick

The eye is open and functional now, but still a lot of sticky around. Baby seems to be doing well. Has a loud peep! It's with its hatch-mates now in the brooder. Eating, grooming, and socializing like the others. Thanks to everyone for your advice. I'll continue to work at softening the membrane a little at a time.

8. fowlfarm

fowlfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2008
    Super job!!! Keep up the good work!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by