dry or wet incubating witch one better

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DownSouthOrps, Feb 15, 2014.

1. DownSouthOrps

DownSouthOrps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2014
    Dry or wet

2. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    I highly recommend the dry incubation method; there is a link to read about it in my signature.

3. DownSouthOrps

Feb 13, 2014
    Even at hatch time

4. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    read the link

5. DownSouthOrps

Feb 13, 2014
    What link I am on mobile

6. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    After having several batches of chicks "drown" right at hatching time a few years ago....I prefer to dry incubate. I have had very good luck with keeping humidity right about 35% for the first 18 days, then I increase it to 50% when I take the eggs out of the turner ( days 18-20). I crank up the humidity to 70% when I see the first pip. I think a lot depends on what kind of incubator you use. I have a King Suro and a Brinsea. I had terrible luck at hatching with my Styrofoam incubator, so now just use that one for an extra "hatching incubator" if I have a staggered hatch.

7. DownSouthOrps

Feb 13, 2014
    I have a dicky

8. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I'm not a fan of the term "dry" Incubating. To achieve 35-40% humidity relative to 99.5F well, that's not exactly "dry" is it? I have to add water to achieve that. No water or incubating dry in my home of 60% humidity results in 25% in incubator. I think we all agree that's too low. Incubating in humid summers or you live in a humid environment may result in dry incubating- not adding any water at all during first 18 days of incubation, but that's not the case for the majority of people. I run a humidifier in winter heating months to achieve 60% humidity in the room.

I do incubate at lower humidity than some but never dry. 35-40% first 18 days. 55-60% during hatch.

9. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    I am trying your method right now. This is my first incubation ever and just prior to getting ready to set my eggs I found your link. I can't wait to see how things turn out. So far looking pretty good, candled yesterday at day 7. 2 clears, 1 early quitter and 34 that looked good.

Keeping my humidity as close to 30 as I can, fluctuates a little here in FL, not cool enough for heat or hot enough for air to help dry out the house any.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by