Dry pox covering chicks eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Paauilo gal, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Paauilo gal

Paauilo gal In the Brooder

Aug 8, 2017
    I have dry pox running through several of my chicks. One 3week old chick has it completely covering one eye and its scabbed shut. She eats and drinks and runs around just fine with the other chicks and mom a hen. Should I treat her eye with something? Leave it alone and let it heal? Is it going blind her? Tried to take pics but she is a bugger to try to catch. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use either Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel from a feed stroe in the eye twice a day. Secondary bacterial infections in the eyes are common with fowl pox. Pictures are helpful.

Wyorp Rock and KikisGirls like this.
  3. Paauilo gal

Aug 8, 2017
    I will try and get a pic. It's hard catching a chick in a 1500 square ft yard. Will triple antibiotic ointment suffice till I can get to the feed store?

4. Paauilo gal

Aug 8, 2017
    170921_0000.jpg

So finally caught her. Put some triple antibiotic ointment on her eye. Will have to do untold I can make the 40 Mike trip to the feed store.

Attached Files:

5. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Does she have any of the Pox inside her beak too?

6. Paauilo gal

Aug 8, 2017
    I honestly didn't check. None of them have had wet pox through. She acts totally fine eating and drinking and being a chick, she just looks horrible.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Free Ranging

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    That's great if she is eating/drinking fine. I was just wondering about that - hopefully it will run it's course shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by