Dry Pox? PICTURES INCLUDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ItsAZOO32, Oct 9, 2011.

1. ItsAZOO32

ItsAZOO32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Hi there everyone! Just noticed I have a few birds with what I am guessing is Fowl Pox. Seems to be the dry version only at this time.. thankfully! Can you tell me if I am correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks very much for your time. If you have experience with this can you please tell me what I can do besides Betadine on the pox, vitamins in the water and lesson the chances of mosquitoes? That last one is going to be the trick since I live in central FL [​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Yup, you`re correct........Pop

3. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    ah well.. that's a bummer [​IMG] Guess I just need to watch for the wet variety and let it take it's course then

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep. You're doing all you can do for your birds, just got to wait it out for a few weeks. If there's standing water in your yard, ie bird baths, containers etc...empty them out. If you have vents on your coop, screen them to help keep mosquitos out. You can also loosely drape screen to the coop entrance. Your chickens will figure how to get in and out, mine did.

5. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    What about VetRx.. I have some of that laying around. Don't know if that will help or anything. If so, what should I do with it?

6. Dudu

Dudu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    ─Žal Luqa, Malta
    To keep mosquitoes away we used a plant - fennel, as together with anise it grows here in Malta (Mediterranean) in huge quantities in the wild. We'd go outside the farm every other evening and bring back handfuls of it, tie it together with a piece of wire and hang it near the cages (where our caged ones live) and where the birds gather up to sleep. They tried to pick on it to eat it also, they love it! It is considered to be a mosquito repellent and since most of ours live in a large yard, we can't really spray anything there, so we used this and I have a feeling it helped during the pox time.

On the spots we used iodine (with a q-tip, need to be careful as they can suddenly pull their head back, not to put it in their eyes) and also for the night Fucidine cream in more severe cases (severe meaning that it affected our young chicks (3-4 weeks old?) and was around the eyes, so it formed quite a sizeable lesion). When afterwards I discussed it with our vet, that's exactly what he told me to do also.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Mine wasn't too bad. Dry form. Didn't have to do anything. She also had a spot or two on her legs. I couldn't ever tell it bothered them any.
    [​IMG]

8. ItsAZOO32

Mar 6, 2011
    Titusville, Fl.
    Quote:Thanks! I will keep an eye on them and hope it doesn't get too bad [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by