Dry Quail Hatches

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chickbird, Nov 9, 2011.

1. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    D,o Any Of You Do Dry Quail Hatches As Some Do With Chickens?

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I don't recommend it. Quail eggs need humidity to moisten the shell for the chick to pip and hatch out. If dry, they shrink wrap and die in shell.

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I use the "DRY HATCH" method. Here where I am the humidity is naturally high so, I don't add any water to my incubators until the 14-15th day for coturnix quail and 18-19th day for bobwhite and chickens etc. then I add the HOTTEST water from the sink to water trays, this hot water will vapor and boost humidity very high and usually by the time I remove chicks the water is gone....I also stagger hatches and this has not caused any problem with the other eggs not ready to hatch. I just repeat the above.

NOTE: If for some reason my humidity does drop below (around) 38% I will add water, I prefer it to be in the 40ish % range while dry incubating.

I have converted to this method several years ago when I first read about 'DRY INCUBATION' and I would never go back to my old incubation methods. I use the 5 gallon bucket auto-waterer for a auto-waterer for the geese now. This may not work where you are but it does work for me.

4. chickbird

chickbird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Quote:i have used this method also for chicks and ducks and always had good results, but i'm new to quail hatching, i had 40 eggs for my first hatch that i got thru the mail and i only had 10 to hatch out, i was so in hopes to at least have 20. they are the cutest babies. 6 white and 4 brown. i live in georgia and we have 40-50% humidity here where i live.

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Quote:Quaillady your my Idol.And if you say Jump I Jump.This is not for the sake of argument .I am Trying to figer it out.If what you say(were talking desert quail) where do they get all this moisture to hatch in the WILD....cva34

6. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I recently hatched my very first quail. I had 75 button quail eggs shipped, used a dry incubation method and had 49 hatch. I do not add water to my incubator except at lockdown. I've had good results.
    [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I keep humidity at 50-60% throughout but the most important days are the last 3 before hatch.

8. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    If I don't fill the water pan in my incubator the humidity drops to about 18%. Takes 2 pans to get it to 45%. One good thing is it makes summer enjoyable.

9. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:Quaillady your my Idol.And if you say Jump I Jump.This is not for the sake of argument .I am Trying to figer it out.If what you say(were talking desert quail) where do they get all this moisture to hatch in the WILD....cva34

This is a good question.
    In the wild, even though desert areas, there are going to be periods of rain fall, and I would imagine the birds know , and time their clutches with the rain.

I raise parakeets , native to Australia. I have seen my birds bathe in water, then return to the nest, providing the proper moisture.

I am in Tucson Arizona, Very dry! But we do have our monsoon rains in the summer and that is when the doves and quail breed. Besides water, the seed and bugs are plentiful.

I would imagine , the Quail are the same way.

It would be great to hear other views on this.

10. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    That, or the birds sweaty belly moistens the egg. Heat + Contact with egg = sweat, which is water. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by