Dry scabby lump on hens face

ehanlon882

Hatching
Nov 27, 2022
Hello, I have a hen with a dry scabby face and a large crusty lump around her ear area. She doesn't look to be itching or scratching it and no signs on any other hens. We have tried treating her for scally face mite with a drop on treatment on back of neck with no difference. Any advice.
IMG-20221023-WA0002.jpg
PXL_20221120_190341855.jpg

Many thanks in advance

Looks like it could be a build up of earwax. When my hen had that we used warm water and tweezers to get it out. It was just a long process of removing waiting a day and removing more as it came to the surface.

Can you see any lice or mites moving around on her neck and head? Are there lice eggs in the feathers? Did you use ivermectin pour on to treat the face mites? The dosage for ivermectin is 0.1 ml for every 2 pounds of weight put on the back of the neck over the spine. Repeat in 10-14 days. You might not have used enough. Face mites may also be treated with vassline applied to the area. If you have body lice or mites, permethrin dust or spray may help.

The swollen ear is a sign of ear infection, which can be due to mites, bacteria, fungus, or respiratory infection. I would try to remove any gunk feom the ear with hydrogen peroxide, tweezers, and Qtips. Then apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic ointment to the ear canal. Repeat as necessary. If it is a bacterial infection, an antibiotic might be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom