Dry skin and missing feathers

OliviaHeinecke

Hatching
Mar 12, 2021
5 week old chick and there is a line of dry skin and very short feathers trying to come through I have checked for mites and lice I don’t see any and I have another chick or 2 with the same kind of thing. I ordered all females and as far as I can tell we didn’t get an roosters by mistake. What is this or what should I do? She and all the other chicks are doing great and no other problems and I haven’t notice anyone over pecking each other or pecking just a these areas. It just looks like she has dry skin and feathers are trying to come in. Please help I have being trying to google and research what this is or what to do but I haven’t found an answer.

Attachments

• 1C96BC96-9514-4688-B8A2-F37261CD7ACD.jpeg
    1C96BC96-9514-4688-B8A2-F37261CD7ACD.jpeg
    512.8 KB · Views: 49
If they are acting OK I would just give it some time. Different breeds, different genetics can cause some variations in feather patterns, how and when they come in. There may be some feather picking going on since those shafts are so exposed, especially when they all lump together to sleep. Time may be all that is needed. Might spend more time observing to see if there actually is some picking going on. If they have light all night, then I'd try to remove that, so they will sleep and minimize the picking. What are you feeding?

5 week old chick and there is a line of dry skin and very short feathers trying to come through I have checked for mites and lice I don’t see any and I have another chick or 2 with the same kind of thing. I ordered all females and as far as I can tell we didn’t get an roosters by mistake. What is this or what should I do? She and all the other chicks are doing great and no other problems and I haven’t notice anyone over pecking each other or pecking just a these areas. It just looks like she has dry skin and feathers are trying to come in. Please help I have being trying to google and research what this is or what to do but I haven’t found an answer.
Has this gotten any better? I have a few around the same age with the exact same looking thing going on. They eat are growing fine running around. Were inside with clean bedding when it started. Had never been outside. Mine have been like this a few weeks now and all I keep seeing online is to just wait their just getting their feathers in. But the feathers are still super short.

:welcome :frow I see you only have the one post? Have your chicks improved? Also you said you checked for mites and lice but have you checked at night. Some types of mites only come out at night and feed on the birds. I use a headlamp so I have both hands free to inspect my birds. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom