Dry Skin? Is this normal? *PICS*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DesertDweller, Sep 26, 2010.

1. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    My 4 1/2 month old hens seem to have dry skin on their faces and legs. It has been getting colder at nights and I have never noticed this before now. They also get flaky skin stuck on their feathers. Other than whatever this is, they appear to be normal. I change their bedding regularly and they have free range to the rest of our property during the day, so I am not sure if this has anything to do with mites. Maybe I am being overparanoid. If it is dry skin, what would be helpful to use to treat it and is there a safe home remedy. Thank you!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Looks normal to me. Cute EEs! [​IMG]

4. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Looks just like my EE...pretty normal looking.

[​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Looks normal to me, and the "skin" stuck to their feathers might be the feather sheath coming off of new feathers if they are starting to moult.

6. DesertDweller

DesertDweller Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Southern Nevada
    Oh thank goodness they appear normal! They are my first time raising chickens since my childhood so I am not completely sure whats normal. Thanks for the replys!

7. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Your birds look like they could be sisters of one of mine! Mine has skin like that right now too.

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Thanks for posting this question, because your EE looks just like mine, loose quill shafts and all. I wasn't quite sure how much scaliness on the legs is normal. You've got pretty girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by