1. Theresa61

Theresa61 New Egg

May 23, 2016
    My hens all have dried white flakes. I don't see any signs of lice. I believe it's just dry skin but I am new to raising chickens. Is there something I should give them or do for them? They all are between 4 to 5 months old. TIA

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. What type of feed are you giving them? A lack of vitamins or fatty acids could cause dry skin, as well as no drinking enough water. If you don't have too many hens, you might try switching to a feed with omega 3 fatty acids, or adding a fish oil capsule cut open to their feed. Dry skin can cause flaking, and you will especially notice flaky skin when they are molting. Lice eggs are pretty easy to spot at the base of feathers as seen below:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. rooster 2011

rooster 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2016
    Louisiana
    Purina makes a omega laying pellet that might help maybe there not getting enough omega

4. Theresa61

Theresa61 New Egg

May 23, 2016
    Eggcessive, I am using Nutrena Country Feed later 16% crumble.Just add Black Oil Sunflower seeds and millworms to their diet. I only have 6 but they have access all day to their crumble. Can I add fishL oil to their water supplies. TIA

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably not water soluble, and would float. I would open a capsule or two onto their food or a treat. Stir it a little to distribute it. Are they anywhere close to their once a year molt? A few of mine are starting with pale combs and feathers appearing in the coop.

6. Theresa61

Theresa61 New Egg

May 23, 2016
    Eggscessive no they are 4 to 5 months old. I will try putting fish oil on treats. Thanks for help. I am new to this and just want make sure I am not doing anything wrong here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by