Dry Sneeze In Three Week Old Chickens - Some Watery Poop - Not Acting Lethargic [Yet...] - WAIT or M

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IckyMcChicky, Jul 30, 2013.

1. IckyMcChicky

IckyMcChicky New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    PLEASE READ MY THREAD:
    I read everything I could on this site about sneezing chickens, but I believe that my issue meets the criteria of being just different enough to start a new thread:

I am hoping for information from knowledgable chicken owners on repetitive dry sneezes in young chickens.
    Perhaps a link or two containing concise information.
    I use the word concise because I am staring to panic here.
    I have been reading so much about chicken sneezes in the last couple of days that my head is spinning....

[First let me say that neither of the breeders from which I obtained my chickens reported any sneezing chickens in their flock (I asked), but neither of them used sand as bedding either...]

About a week ago, I observed that two of my three week old chickens were sneezing.
    I know that, like us, if they something irritates their nostrils they'll sneeze.
    I use sand for their bedding, since I've read that it is drier and therefore more hygienic than the other options.
    So, at first I thought this may be the reason for their sneezing. At that point, no others were sneezing...

I read that sneezing in chickens is a hard thing to diagnose, but that if something IS wrong, that it may kill them very quickly, so, fearing they had something that would spread and get worse, I put them all on Duramycin-10/Tetracycline Hydrochloride Soluble Powder immediately.
    I began that five days ago: 12 hrs. off. and 12 hrs on.
    For the other 12 hrs. I put them on electrolytes and probiotics.
    Every day like that for the last four days.

Neither of the original sneezers have gotten worse, but they haven't stopped sneezing either, but others have began to sneeze - all dry though, like the other two still are.
    [Oh, and one of the sneezing ones has watery poop, but I am pretty sure that's just because it's been warm here lately.]
    I also have had four one week olds that were in the same pen for the last week but I moved them to another pen just today.
    NONE of them have been sneezing.
    I was keeping the pen a bit warmer for the smaller ones, and I figured that this is contributing to the watery poop in one of the [older] sneezing chickens.

Nothing has changed with the sneezing, and the directions on the package of Duramycin-10 say to discontinue after a couple of days if nothing improves.
    So just this morning I quit giving it to them and will only be giving them probiotics and electrolytes, thinking that if I have to end up putting them on another medication, that they'll need a lot of help to replace whatever good bacteria the antibiotics killed/will kill.

It began as a very dry sneeze, and it still is. So I doubt that if it's past "the point of no return".
    They all act normal, running around, pecking, eating, sleeping, dusting, cuddling, tweeting, growing, etc...
    All good things, just some dry sneezes and a teeny bit of watery poo - so far.

My question is, since it's a DRY sneeze, and only a little watery poo [that can mostly be attributed to the heat] then what should I do?
    I want to catch it before it turns into a WET sneeze [if in fact it's a sick sneeze to begin with] and bubbles start coming out their nostrils - but I don't want to over-medicate and kill all the good stuff in their systems.

I read about CORID, Sulfadimexothine, Baytril, and TYLAN50.
    Which one is the least harmful, most effective, and can be administered right after Duramycin?
    I'm not squeamish. I'll give injections if I need to.

I just really love my birds and want to catch whatever is wrong before it potentially turns into something really wrong.
    I know there are a lot of very knowledgable chicken owners who post on this site.
    I read about CORID, Sulfadimexothine, Baytril, and TYLAN50.
    Which one is the least harmful, most effective, and can be administered right after Duramycin?
    I'm not squeamish. I'll give injections if I have to.

I also posted a video of one of them sneezing. He sneezes two times throughout the video.

I just really love my birds and want to catch whatever is wrong before it potentially turns into something really wrong.
    I know there are a lot of very knowledgable chicken owners who post on this site.
    My hope is that a couple of you see my thread in time.
    Here's keeping my fingers crossed....

My hope is that a couple of you see my thread in time.
    Here's keeping my fingers crossed....

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  2. I didn't really see the sneezes in the video...

1 person likes this.
  3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I saw 2 sneezes. Honestly, your birds look and sound healthy...normal. You mentioned that there were other chicks with the "sneezers," and they are unaffected. This tells me that it isnt a respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are transmittable to other birds.
    It's possible that it could be an environmental issue, yet it didnt affect the other birds. Perhaps dander from losing fluff and growing feathers is affecting them in some manner. Not much can be done about it, it's normal...if that's what it is.
    I dont recommend giving them antibiotics or any kind of meds at all.

2 people like this.
  4. IckyMcChicky

IckyMcChicky New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks guys.
    I really appreciate your looking at my video and reading my post.
    I was really hoping someone would tell me it looks like I am worrying for nothing.
    So I guess I heard what I wanted to hear. [​IMG]

I'm just going to keep an eye on them, like usual, and keep them on electrolytes, probiotics, vitamins, & apple cider vinegar in their water.
    I am new at this and didn't want to ignore any actual symptoms. My fear was that I wasn't doing enough.
    Sounds like I was doing too much though. [​IMG]

Thanks again for the advice peoples.
    Laters on... [​IMG]

5. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Consider backing off all the goodies you're giving them, and stick with chick starter and regular fresh water. Too much of good thing(s) can be just as detrimental to their health.

2 people like this.
  6. IckyMcChicky

IckyMcChicky New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Will do,
    I appreciate the advice.

Is it okay to give them an egg yolk every couple of days though?
    Because I've read that their starter mash has very little protein in it.
    Perhaps an egg yolk every other day is to much protein though...
    Any thoughts?

7. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Starter feed is just fine. Too much protein can cause gout down the road....you dont want to deal with gout. The only time that I provided extra protein was during molt, after worming, and sprained legs.

8. IckyMcChicky

IckyMcChicky New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Okay.
    I will ease up on all the extras, and just put all of my extra energies into building their new coop. [​IMG]
    Laters, and thanks again.

9. mckev1

mckev1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Antioch, Illinois
    I was reading your post and was checking to see how the your chick is doing?
    Also, is it still doing sneezes? Just checking in.
    [​IMG]

~ Maryann

10. IckyMcChicky

IckyMcChicky New Egg

Jul 28, 2013
    Yep he's just fine.
    It's been awhile since the sneezing, and now he is a vivacious little spitfire of a rooster :D

I think people were right on when they suggested that it may just be dust from their feathers that'll cause them to sneeze from time to time,
    Since then, I notice that once in awhile they'll just sneeze once or twice for no reason - just like we humans do.

So I was basically worrying for nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by