1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dry up cow

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by misty7850, Aug 9, 2008.

1. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    Can any one tell me is there a certain process you have to go through to dry up a milk cow ? Or can you just stop milking ? Any information would be appreciated..

2. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    I think you just dont milk them .. Thats what you do with goats

3. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    You need to be careful when drying them up especially if they are producing to much milk they can get mastitis. There is a treatment called tommorrow that we give them when we stop milking them. We usally stop milking them 2 months before they are due to have their calf. They for the most part are usually ready to stop milking anyway by than and we just give them the medicine to help them dry up and not get mastitis. You still need to watch though as they can get it when they are dry.

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    milk the cow out completely an dry treat her with tomorrow.she should go soft bagged in 2wks more or less.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    When I was a kid we didn't have anything to treat them with, so we just gradually milked less. We'd go to once a day, then every other day. They would eventually dry up.

6. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Make sure she is off any high protein feed. Just feed her plain hay will help in the drying up.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:That used to be quite common but, with more bacteria in today's world isn't recommended anymore as it more often than not causes trouble. You have to throw away the first few days worth of milk either way. It is better to prevent than to wait and treat in this case.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  8. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    Thanks eveyone for the input.. all most helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by