Dry versus Humid incubaction?

pistol123

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
oregon
I would like to hear some different views on dry incubations versus Humid, is dry better, some of the top hatchers on these sites do dry incubation and I'm very confused ! My Sportsman tell you to incubate at 40-50, never mentions dry incubation. Please any thoughts on this?
Thank you.

My thoughts on the topic? I try to keep it simple and not overthink it. I read the instructions that came with the incubator, did what they said, and got pretty good hatches.

I suggest you decide on something. It doesn't matter a lot what that something is. Be consistent throughout the hatch, then analyze the results and adjust as necessary.

I think you will find that we all have tremendously different circumstances and we get different results even with the same humidities. I am firmly convinced that there is no one correct answer for all of us.

If you wish to experiment and try different things, go for it. That is your business, not mine. I wish you luck, whatever you decide.

I did dry, my humidity was about 20% until I added water at day 18 and I was able to get it to 50%. Had one hatch today.

I am using a homemade bator in a very dry area and wanted simple.

I was not expecting any to hatch after having to drive my bator home over Easter break on very bumpy roads.

The first chick looks happy and healthy.

I don't add water to the incubator for a very simple reason- my house humidity is already 50-60%. I weigh my eggs daily and calculate loss. I only add water at lockdown. Works for me!

I am no expert. But I think it might have to do with what region you live in.
I have tried the dry incubation with terrible results, other's swear by it. I have to have water in my incubators.

I only do dry incubation now. I keep the humidity around 35% the first 18 days and then 55-60% during lockdown. My hatches have been fantastic using this method and almost immediately I saw a huge decrease in the number of eggs making it to lockdown but dying before hatching.

If you aren't hatching important eggs I would try a few hatches each way and see what works best for you.

Make sure your hygrometer is calibrated in between hatches.

Back
Top Bottom