dry vs wet incubating...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer_Dan, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Having trouble finding a good list of pro / con for each style. Some people swear by doing it dry and others can't imagine having less than 45% humidity from day 1.

So... what's your opinion?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    we do 45% all the way through

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    And we have over 100 chicks in the brooders at this point

4. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    ive done wet incubating all the time. i know, since everyone says it works, why do people still use the wet way? there MUST be cons to dry incubating that people arent telling us... [​IMG] ive never tried it. i thought that if its too dry, the chick will become dried out.

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I keep my Day 1-18 humidity at about 50% and my final three day humidity between 60-65%.

Frankly I don't see a heck of a lot of difference between 40 and 50%.

6. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    Last year did wet incubation all year. kept humidity at about 50% thru out. Had about 35% hatch rate. Bear in mind I am hatching Araucana so even that can be a good hatch rate. This year I have been incubating at 25% humidity and hatching at 45% humidity. My hatch rate has gone to a 75% overall average with most weeks being 100%. I did have two weeks of no hatches because of a temp flux, but I am still counting it in my percentage.

I live in Northern CA. I don't know if that makes a difference. I just know that dry incubation is working for me and it is what I will use untill it stops working.

When I sell hatching eggs to people it is how I recommend to hatch because it is working for me.

Lanae

7. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    This is my first try at incubating eggs, and I did not even know about the dry method until after I already started. I will have to give it a try, I have already ordered some eggs from a great person here on BYC (People on here are great) and hope to have it all figured out by the time they get here. I love this site; people are great, willing to help newbies, and knowledgeable. Keep up the good work all!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by