Dry

eggybritches

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central Florida
How do I keep my duck coop dry?

I have a sleeping quarter sectioned off where they spend most of their time chilling out, and that's covered in hay, but where the waterer is is a huge mudhole. How do I prevent this? Do I need to put hay under the waterer, put a couple of bricks under it... I don't know. I just don't want this to turn into nasty black mud. I live in Florida and we don't have real dirt, it's just that gross sand that gets wet on top and sits there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Like you I have this same issue, and I went to Tractor Supply and got a rubber dish that is large enough for my waterer to sit in and catch Most of the excess water. The dish is about 4 or so inches deep so you still will need bricks or mine is on a tire rim but otherwise this will help alot!! I use Stall Dry also then to sprinkle around the area when water does get out. I empty the big dish every 3-4 days and it's usually pretty full by then!

I put a plastic tray that has a small lip under mine. It won't keep it totally dry but does help alot. Some on here have used a deeper pan with a mesh screen on top to place there duck waterer or bowl on. It will catch most of the water keeping your floor drier.

I used to use a big plasic tray and it caught most water, but the smartest thing is to just put the water outside....they can go without it for overnight and it keeps the coop totally dry.

I have ducklings, and they aren't free range yet, so I can't keep the waterer outside.

I'm going to try keeping it on blocks, and if that doesn't work I'll find some kind of tray for underneath.

Thanks for your help!

Back
Top Bottom