1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Dryer lint for nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CandylandRanch, Nov 14, 2014.

1. CandylandRanch

CandylandRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    Michigan
    please no judgement here, but dryer lint seems like a no brainer nest box material to me, it's mostly cotton fibers so it's soft, it's dry and clean, it's free and easily replaced, of course i would see mixing it with straw and/or pine to be a good way of using it, like line the bottom with it. Any thoughts on this? Or am I crazy?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You're innovative and creative, not crazy. But I would question the loose fibers in the lint that it might cause respiratory problems, especially if baby chicks are hatching in it. I don't know for sure, but it's something I would check out.

3. CandylandRanch

CandylandRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2014
    Michigan
    You are surly right about baby chicks , I wouldn't see using it for them to be suitable. But I wouldn't think the lint would be harmful for pullets or hens to just lay eggs into? I hope we can get others opinions on this! I'm hoping it finds to be a nice option!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You could try it in one nest and see what happens.
    I would think they might scratch it up tho, so it might not stay in the nest.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by