Drying greens for winter feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by coberdor, Jan 28, 2009.

1. coberdor

coberdor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    I was wondering if anyone else dries their summer greens to add to the chicken's food in winter?
    I dry my swiss chard, beet greens & kohlorabi leaves from my organic garden to add them to my pastas and to the dog food I make for two of my dogs. I decided to crush these and added them to their food. They loved it.

I'll definitely be drying more of these next year for them. The kohlorabi leaves taste like cabbage, since it is related to the cabbage. I'll have to try the stevia that I grow. I bet they'll love that too! Hmm, I hadn't thought of feeding them that until I was typing this post.

Carmel

2. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    sounds like a good idea, how do you dry them? is it worth doing? are the that good for the chickens?

3. coberdor

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    I use a dehydrator. They dry in a couple of hours, so very little of the nutrients are lost. You can dry them in the sun too if you don't have a dehydrator. Using a hot car, closed up in the sun works well. You can spread the washed, spun, chopped leaves out on cookie trays on the dashboard or on the seats.

I started drying the greens for myself, to add to pasta dishes and soups in winter. It's difficult and expensive to find organic greens here in Ohio in winter. I soon had friends asking for them after I gave them samples to try in their cooking.

I thought that I'd try it with my chickens and they loved it. Now I'm thinking of other things I can dry for them that they like, like fresh clover, alfalfa and even things like beet tops.

Carmel

4. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    thanks for the info, i may try it

5. coberdor

Nov 24, 2008
    Norton, Ohio
    If you don't have a dehydrator, look on craigslist, garage sales and thrift stores. I use mine alot. I dry tomatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, corn, apples, bananas, strawberries, peppers, just about anything. It's a great way to preserve garden produce and greatly reduces the amount of room needed for storage.

6. momofdrew

momofdrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Now that's a good way of making use of the car on those hot summer days!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by