Drying sand

CandylandRanch

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Michigan

So I recently invested in 6 cubic yards of sand for my large coop. We live in Michigan and its spring so it's been rainy. The Sand was not dry when he loaded it into the coop, but we thought it would dry better inside of the coop than it would continually being rained on in our driveway. And it's been a week and the sand will not dry!! I have been stirring it, adding sweet pdz, I have a dehumidifier going constantly, I added a box fan today. How do I dry this sand!!! It's driving me nuts, I have 18 chickens ready to go in there!
My only last idea is to shovel it to one end and slowly lay small portions of it out onto the other side and add to it as is dries..
Any ideas? I've got to get these chickens out of my laundry room lol.

So I recently invested in 6 cubic yards of sand for my large coop. We live in Michigan and its spring so it's been rainy. The Sand was not dry when he loaded it into the coop, but we thought it would dry better inside of the coop than it would continually being rained on in our driveway. And it's been a week and the sand will [is still] not dry!! ......Any ideas? I've got to get these chickens out of my laundry room lol.
Looks dry enough to me and I'm looking at your sand from 4 or 5 states away. Your birds will do a Yeoman's job of turning the sand over. It may take months for damp sand to even half-way dry. At least that is my experience with damp or wet sand. Good luck.

Oh geeze! Months? Halfway? I feel defeated.. Isn't it true that damp conditions are not good for birds? I do not want to hurt them.. And if it's not dry by winter it's gonna freeze!

Any nice dry day lay a tarp on the driveway and throw down a couple buckets worth of sand on the tarp to dry in the sun. When it's dry put it in one area of the coop and replace it with another couple bucketfulls. Other than that and what you're already doing, I don't think there is anything else you can do.

Back
Top Bottom