1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DS took 1-day old button quail out of cage & into his room - HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cherlyn, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Just hatched a button quail yesterday. DS took him out of the brooder without my realizing it, and then came and found me after what I am guessing was about ten minutes, saying that he was sorry. Little quail looked almost lifeless. I do not know exactly what is wrong with him, besides certainly a bit of hypothermia. What do I do? Put a bit of neosporin on one of his toes, as it is bloody. Gave him sugar water, which he drank from a medicine dropper. Isolated him from his quail friends so as not to be trodden upon. Opens eyes sporadically, and now stands up - he could not do either of these things 20 mins ago. What else do I do?

~Cherlyn

2. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    There is nothing else you can do as far as I know. Keep him warm and hope for the best.

3. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    I agree, sounds like your doing everything you can.Keep us posted on his condition.When he makes it show pictures,And he will make it we all have to have faith.

4. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Thanks, I feel a bit better now. I will check on him now and get a pic up ASAP as well.

~Cherlyn

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Not looking the best... [​IMG] He does not hold his head up well, but rather lets it sink to the ground. Put him in with his mates (same age as him), and now he at least makes an effort every few minutes. Maybe having been cold is making him very tired?

~Cherlyn

6. DPhillips

DPhillips Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I raise bobwhite quail, and they can become stressed very easily when they are young because they are so fragile. I would just make sure he's getting enough water and thats about all you can do. some pull through, some dont. Also, watch the rest of quail and make sure they arent getting bloody feet as well. If they do, you will need to cull them (clip the tips of their upper beaks off) so they cannot injure one another. I learned this the hard way when i first started raising bobwhites.

7. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Little guy is up and running around now, with an occasional head-drooping. Hopefully we are in the clear.

~Cherlyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by