Dual Purpose AFTER Laying?

Baumshell28

Songster
Apr 16, 2020
Gonzales (Baton Rouge), Louisiana
So, I bought my chickens for “Purpose”. As Barred Rocks and Golden Comets were both said to be Dual Purpose. I figured after they retired from their egg laying purpose, then I could use them to fulfill that last purpose. I’m not so determined for the meat, to buy actual meat birds. I’ve read horror stories about their weight vs body structure, and I would never want to have to watch daily for the specific purpose of them becoming heavy enough to cause them pain or disability. I also know that because of my feelings towards animals, I have a hard time separating a purpose driven animal lifeline from having a “pet” that leaves gifts in her nest box for me!
To justify purchasing them at all, I told myself that as dual purpose I would have egg laying pets until that ended, then I would have meat to fill my freezer with. I’m enough of a sucker to acknowledge that these girls will probably be fed & cared for long after they have quit producing! But if I do ever get the heart or nerve to be able to butcher them...
Would a bird of that age (post egg laying retirement) still provide good meat?

So, I bought my chickens for “Purpose”. As Barred Rocks and Golden Comets were both said to be Dual Purpose. I figured after they retired from their egg laying purpose, then I could use them to fulfill that last purpose. I’m not so determined for the meat, to buy actual meat birds. I’ve read horror stories about their weight vs body structure, and I would never want to have to watch daily for the specific purpose of them becoming heavy enough to cause them pain or disability. I also know that because of my feelings towards animals, I have a hard time separating a purpose driven animal lifeline from having a “pet” that leaves gifts in her nest box for me!
To justify purchasing them at all, I told myself that as dual purpose I would have egg laying pets until that ended, then I would have meat to fill my freezer with. I’m enough of a sucker to acknowledge that these girls will probably be fed & cared for long after they have quit producing! But if I do ever get the heart or nerve to be able to butcher them...
Makes great soup. Very flavorful . Has to be cooked either low and slow or pressure cooker.

They make outstanding broth too.

A dual purpose hen will not provide a lot of meat. There are only two of us and I can still get two meals out of one as long as someone isn't too greedy. The second meal is usually soup.

As Molpet said, you have to be careful how you cook them. Hot and dry isn't good. Slow and moist is. The exception to that is pressure cooking, that's hot and wet. If you make soup don't bring it to a full boil, just a gentle simmer. A crock pot works well. Coq au Vin is generally used for old tough roosters but an old hen can work too. An old hen in chicken and dumplings is pure comfort food and stretches it a lot too. Mom used chicken and dumplings to feed five kids with one old hen.

I like to use them for broth. You can use the whole hen but I save the bones after they are cooked another way plus I save the necks, back and feet. The heart and gizzard can go in too. I add a carrot, celery, onion, garlic, and some herbs and spices and cover that with water in a crock pot, then cook for 16 to 20 hours on low. Strain the chunks out, de-fat it, and you have a delicious broth. I pick the meat out and use that for tacos, chicken salad, or soup. Often I make a sandwich out of that meat for lunch. There are different recipes and ways to make broth but homemade chicken broth from an old hen easily beats any you can buy at a store.

If you don't handle it right and cook it correctly you can get tough stringy inedible meat. If, at some point in the future, you decide to try it come back on this meat forum and we can help you with that. But your question is can they provide good meat. The answer is yes.

I do like to pressure cook them. Cut up into parts to fit the cooker, or a big canning cooker could do them whole. I just got a big old pressure canner at an estate sale, for $25.00. I am sure it could hold 4 retired layers! Canning meat is not for everyone, but the breast meat off of an old hen is nice in pint jars. It is firm and good for any recipe, especially if you use some of the above broth as the liquid. I get the canned chicken meat at Costco, but is is tasteless compared to home-made.

So right about the best chicken and dumplings in the world are made out of a retired laying hen....years of living makes for a richer stock and healthier stock in my opinion. The best pot of chicken and dumplings came from a 5 year old hen a RIR who broke her leg. I ended her pain and she fed my soul.

The best chicken and dumplings on earth are made from a retired laying hen.

I must try chicken and dumplings next time I process an old hen. Does anyone have any favorite recipe they would like to share?

Also, one of the wonderful things about old hens is the schmalz. A big hen can give you 1 or even 2 cups worth. It's very easy to make, lasts for weeks in the fridge and is such a great cooking option for roasting vegetables, making stove top potatoes, etc.

Does anyone have any favorite recipe they would like to share?

I don't really have the recipe written down. Make stock from the bird with onion, carrot, and celery. Pick the meat and add it back. Put in fresh onion and fresh carrot. Add potatoes (optional). Season to taste (a little thyme is good in this), and cook until the veggies are done.

The kind of dumplings I use are essentially biscuit dough made stiff enough to roll and cut. Some people's dumplings aren't leavened (both are good). Add to the simmering stock carefully so they don't stick together and cook until done.

It's the mature hen that gives it the wonderful flavor.

My in-town chickens loved it when I made stock because I'd give the little cannibals the picked-over bones and spent vegetables. :D

I must try chicken and dumplings next time I process an old hen. Does anyone have any favorite recipe they would like to share?

Also, one of the wonderful things about old hens is the schmalz. A big hen can give you 1 or even 2 cups worth. It's very easy to make, lasts for weeks in the fridge and is such a great cooking option for roasting vegetables, making stove top potatoes, etc.
The legs & thighs go in your broth, I don't bone them unless they are already cooked. (Breast meat is grilled around here) Simmer -- not quite boiling -- for an hour, then add salt to tast, about 1 tsp. here. Simmer another hour or two until meat is just almost falling off the bones, add drop biscuit dumplings. I do not roll them, just drop in a heaping tablespoon of dough. Dough is 2 cup flour, 2.5 tsp. baking bowder 1/4 tsp salt. Just stir il by hand until stiff, scoup with a table spoon and drop them in the chicken stew. Cover it and don't open it for 20 min so the tops cook. My kids used to like the little peas and carrots in the frozen bag that I added at the same time as the dumplings. (Husband doesn't like peas, I don't do it that way any more). It is not the same to make it with a store bird, just no taste, I've tried!

Back
Top Bottom