1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dual-purpose and broiler feed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jossanne, Nov 4, 2008.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I've got 14 BR or BSL packing peanuts, 2 weeks old tomorrow, that we're going to butcher. I've read on here that you should feed them broiler feed. Right now they're on basic chick starter. At what age do I put them on broiler? Now?

What age is best to butcher these guys? I've read anywhere between 14 and 20 weeks on here. We had red sex-link roos before and McMurray said to butcher at 12 weeks. They seemed awfully bony that young, and we waited a little longer before we butchered one. We never did eat it, and just culled the others. We're having someone else do the butchering this time around.

Thanks!

2. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Bump...

Anyone?

3. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I raise in bigger batches but what I do is use up a bag of starter then go to growermash.I think a bag of 50 lbs. might last 2 weeks per 30-36 birds.Yours should be ok to go to broiler ration. Will

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    You want to get them on broiler feed as soon as you can... but starter is very close to it, but probably more expensive. So, just switch them once your chick starter runs out.

5. jossanne

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by