Dual Purpose Birds (Chewy and Tough and Dark Dark Meat)?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Happydaze, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    I butchered two of my Roosters (Crosses between Cinnimon queens and Unknown Roosters) One was white with orangey feathering in the breast and back the other was red and white like the hens. They were hatched on Mother's day. They were small only like 3-4 pounds couldn't even get my hand inside them. After cleaning them I let them sit in the fridge for maybe 1-1/2 - 2 days then froze them. I cooked one up last night for soup and it was very tough and chewy. I boiled him for hours still pretty tough but edible. Also, it was the darkest chicken meat I've ever seen in my life! It looked like a Rabbit!! Even the breasts are dark. I'm curious as to why? Is it something I'm feeding them? They eat Layer diet and have been eating grasses, bugs, veggies and fruits (nothing acidic) as well as breads all summer. I've read about Myoglobin (a protein in the blood) that can cause dark meat because of the oxygen in the muscles. So, I thought I should mention that yes my birds do fly around a bit when jumping off their perches as well as in the summer their door is up high so they actually fly in and out of their coop into their yard.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  2. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    What kind of birds were they? Were the bled properlly? A 7 month old bird should not have been that tough if slow cooked.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Hate to tell ya, but that is what REAL chicken looks like...not the pale, pink chicken of the store or the CX that we raise. Older roos(6 mo. and older) like that should be canned, IMO. They come out falling off the bone and you can still enjoy that rich, nutty flavor of a true chicken.

I've even processed roos of that age and marinated them for the grill...they were the hit of my party and I barely even got any! Marinating in a red wine vinegar, lemon juice and garlic mix really broke down the more chewy muscle fibers and created a great meal.

I've tried them in a crock pot with a slow cook and found them to be dry and tasteless after cooking for that long.

It's not what you are feeding them...it is how a real, dual-purpose, free ranged chicken should be. Dark, rich, more textured than a 2 mo. old CX and flavorful!

4. Happydaze

May 15, 2010
    Whoops! What do you mean bled properly...?? ha ha :S
    That may be why!

5. Beekissed

Nah....you did just fine...they are supposed to be dark like that. They do have a naturally darker meat compared to what you are used to.

6. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:Just let them hang upside down for awhile after you chop their head off.

7. Happydaze

May 15, 2010
    How long do you bleed them out. I just held them upside down for a minute or so.. probably not long enough hey?!

8. Beekissed

Perfectly long enough. It takes a matter of seconds for a full grown bird to bleed all they are going to bleed after that heart stops. You may get a few drips or dribbles but the blood is out of your meat as far as it is going to go.

9. Happydaze

May 15, 2010
    Next birds I butcher I will be sure to hang them just a bit longer and I think maybe let them sit in the fridge for maybe 3 days! That should take care of the stiffness.

Thanks for the help everybody!

10. knjinnm

knjinnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Sandia Park, NM
    Did you really boil the bird for hours or slow cook it for hours?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by