Dual purpose breeds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BigPeep, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigPeep

BigPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    I know the topic of the disposal of male chicks has been banned. I don't know if I agree with that but I wanted to add that if you raise the dual purpose, heritage, breeds, there is a use for the males so they don't have to be disposed of at birth.

After seeing the videos on the male chick disposal, I have decided to start doing my own incubating so I am not contributing to this process by ordering from hatcheries. I bought a used incubator today along with a purchase of a goose and some heritage ducks from a local farm. I had been uncertain about that as I didn't want to have to deal with how to get rid of excess roosters but I have decided to take them for processing and offer them to my CSA customers so they at least get a semblance of a life and are then killed humanely.

Originally I had ordered straight runs from hatcheries and then had to sell the roosters to passing Mexicans who did who knows what with them. I then switched to sexed runs to avoid that but now don't feel entirely comfortable with that either.

Comments before this gets banned too?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    From the rules
    Moderation
    BYC staff spend a TON of time and energy to keep the forum running smoothly. How BYC staff moderate is never a topic for open discussion on the forum. If you have any questions or feedback on moderation it should be addressed to the Administrator or the specific moderator via email or private message.
    * Do not post threads questioning moderation.
    * If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material. If you have any questions as to why a thread was closed or removed please contact a BYC staff member.

and here is a link that might be of interest to you.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=238039

A word to the wise, if you "know" a topic will get you in trouble, you may want to rethink your action in hitting the "submit" button.

Any questions, send me a private message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by