Dual purpose feed??

Cody brown

In the Brooder
Nov 18, 2020
What do you all feed your dual purpose pullets and rooster. I want to raise some roosters for meat. Is it possible to keep them with the hens as they will be killed at 4-5 months. Just before they start to mature. Is it okay for them to eat layers pellets if im going to eat them?

People are stuck on butcher weight. Dual purpose birds take much longer to hit these weights. If using hatchery stock then even longer. 14 weeks with breeder stock on a 20 percent protein feed will easily get them 4 lbs live weight. At 14 weeks your at the better side of meat conversion and they are still broiler/grill cooking capable. Over that age they are fryers and over 18 weeks are roasters.

Turkey/gamebird finisher usually runs 20% protein and that's what I use as it's cheaper than purchasing some thing with "all flock" on the label. Same nutritional values but labeling means more money from the less educated masses. Check labels and prices in your area. All flock type feed doesn't have the added calcium for layers. You serve them oyster shell few times a week of have second small dispenser of oyster shell for the layers to consume as they need. Your feed store should offer the shell in bulk which is far cheaper than purchasing in small bags on the shelf.

I keep hens and roosters, broodies with chicks and geese, so I have everyone on an all flock feed. While the layer feed isn't going to cause any problems with cockerels in that short of a time, I would think the higher protein of all flock would be better for growing them out anyway.

You can house them together, but by that age my cockerels are causing trouble with pullets and hens alike. You can always separate them later if/when they become a problem.

What level of calcium should I be looking for in an "all flock type" at 20% protein? I'll feed oyster shell, but don't want to over-calcify the rest of the flock...

Layer is somewhere around 4% calcium while "others" are around 1%. With oyster shell on the side an All-Flock should be closer to 1% than 4%.

What do you all feed your dual purpose pullets and rooster. I want to raise some roosters for meat. Is it possible to keep them with the hens as they will be killed at 4-5 months. Just before they start to mature. Is it okay for them to eat layers pellets if im going to eat them?
Yes.
The excess calcium is detrimental to the cockerel kidneys over the long term. If you are trying to grow them the biggest the fastest, separating and feeding a higher protein feed would be better.

Layer feed is 16% protein. Flock grower is 20% and yes, it makes a difference. Different brands have different amounts of protein and these are what I use.

And expect trouble before 4-5 months. Cockerels start crowing (maturing) at 12 weeks.

Best wishes.

Just out of interest do you eat any of you cockerels? So an all flock feed wil be good for everyone? (as the nane suggests)
If you do eat you cockerels what is the best age to butcher them?

All flock type feed doesn't have the added calcium for layers. You serve them oyster shell few times a week of have second small dispenser of oyster shell for the layers to consume as they need. Your feed store should offer the shell in bulk which is far cheaper than purchasing in small bags on the shelf.

What level of calcium should I be looking for in an "all flock type" at 20% protein? I'll feed oyster shell, but don't want to over-calcify the rest of the flock...

Just out of interest do you eat any of you cockerels? So an all flock feed wil be good for everyone? (as the nane suggests)
If you do eat you cockerels what is the best age to butcher them?
Yes, but I've only done one round of butchering. They were quite old, around 8-9 months, as I worked my way up to it. I think somewhere between 15-24 weeks is ideal? Someone else will know better than me. I let them rest 4-5 days in the fridge before packing and freezing.

I currently have 4 dual purpose cockerels that are going to be processed this weekend. They are 5 months old and have been eating 18% protein grower food since they were about a month old. They are from a hatchery. The largest one is over 6 lbs and the smallest is just under 5 lbs.

I would feed yours grower feed, 18-20% protein. Grower is also called all flock feed or flock raiser, so you could get all flock feed or flock raiser if it has a high enough protein content. Grower will not hurt your pullets.

Back
Top Bottom