Dual Purpose Flocks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    What would be the best choice for a backyard producer who wants eggs to eat and meat after the hens have lost their prime?

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    First, [​IMG]

Second - There are quite a few good dual purpose breeds. Hens after their good years of laying aren't exactly good for eating except in stew ( kinda tough, so it takes some soaking or pounding work ) but some good examples are Brahmas, Wyandottes, Faverolles, Orpingtons, Turkens (aka Naked Necks ) and so on.

Although then again, even your standard Production red or Delaware is a good layer and good for meat. Honestly, it can depend. Personally I like Brahmas , Turkens, and Wyandottes. Hardy, friendly, and they lay really well. ( Plus they aren't as common ) Although I'd love to move on to Salmon Faverolles as well.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Delawares do decent at egg laying and mine at least, are huge.

4. chicken master

chicken master Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    South carolina
    RIR's plymouth rocks and brhamas

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I have barred rocks, buff orpingtons, black australorps, silver laced wyandottes, rhode island reds, and easter eggers. The EE's aren't really dual purpose, but the kids like the green and blue eggs.

6. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    Idaho
    My flock is RIRs, GSLs, BSLs, and California whites. The calies are a bad choice for dual purpose. I really like the gloden sex links the best. The BSLs are moving up the scale because of broodiness.

7. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Rocks were my choice. You can read up on my flock in my blog in my sig. Started from arrival day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by