1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

"Dual Purpose" pig!! (video link)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by onthespot, Nov 26, 2008.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA

2. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    Wow....

I have a GOS piglet that is temporarily in with my chickens and I noticed one was away from the flock and she herded him back. I thought that was just a coincidence. Maybe it is not!

3. Momo

Momo Songster

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Wow, oh wow! ... How wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

4. redhead83402

redhead83402 Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    OHHH ~ how CUTE! AND versatile! I love dual purpose pets! And I would so love to get a pig ~ but only as a working pet.... I don't actually think I could ever slaughter a pig ~ I have heard they are far more intelligent than dogs, even. For me, it would be like looking a horse in the eye, & killing it to eat. Don't think I could do that. Chickens, cows, ducks, rabbits, no problemo ~ I don't know about a pig.
    Thanks for sharing that ~ love the pizza & pop at the end, totally hilarious ( & afterall, probably not fit to eat anyway, on that diet, lol)
    ~Red

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    That was so cool!..my husband and i just watched it..and we loved it!..we have 2 pigs,,and we say all the time how smart they are(they really are!)thanks so much for the link..[​IMG]...Wendy

6. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    That's amazing!!! Not a GoS, but amazing.

Our border collie puppy is not afraid of our piggies and she gladly herds them back to their pen if they get out. They don't like being bit. I heard from our trainer that it's actually pretty rare to find a collie who'll work swine.

But, a swine who works bovines is very rare indeed. [​IMG]

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks for sharing that! I enjoyed watching it!
    Pigs are smart, and can be personable and friendly when raised around people. Somewhere I have pictures of 2 pigs we were raising for the freezer and I let them out everyday to hang out with the family. The pictures are from the day we were putting fencing in and the pigs were helping out with the digging. I will post them if I can find the disc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by