Dual purpose question....

smirch9

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
I've been successful with raising Bob Whites for a while now, and I only do it in the early Fall and winter months, With that being said, my pens set empty for 3-6 months. I am looking to raise some meat birds and was wondering if I can use these pens for a dual purpose or should I shy away from doing it. I do not want to pass any infectious diseases between the two breeds and thought if I disinfected it would be ok. Any suggestions?

It would be fine to put another breed in for the winter. If you are looking for meat and eggs coturnix are the way to go.

I raise DP birds now, and Turkeys. I raise the quail and sell them, however my quail pens set empty til next season. I am wanting to raise Cornish Rocks in lew of quail until it its time to start the quail again. So what I want to do is raise the Cornish Rocks in my quail pens, then in turn use them to raise quail when I'm finished with the chickens. Good idea or not?

Quote:
NOT a good idea. Chickens are carriers of diseases that quail are not able to fight off if they contract it. If you alternately grow quail and chickens in the same cages you are asking for problems.

Quote:
NOT a good idea. Chickens are carriers of diseases that quail are not able to fight off if they contract it. If you alternately grow quail and chickens in the same cages you are asking for problems.

Thank you for the reply. I've read a lot on this forum where it said do not raise together, however these birds are not together, just grown at different times. I will build another pen.

Quote:

Thank you for the reply. I've read a lot on this forum where it said do not raise together, however these birds are not together, just grown at different times. I will build another pen.

that is your safest choice...Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

that is your safest choice...Good Luck!
thumbsup.gif

X2

I have raised chickens in the same cage that quail USED to be in, but I bleached the crap out of it before I put the quail back in. I even start a fire on the ground under where they will go. It worked out great, but that is me. I would build a new pen.

Back
Top Bottom