Dual purpose sex links

LLRSandraMort

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2020
My daughter got dual purpose sex link (cinnamon queen & black) chicks this week. We've got 10 pullets and 10 for the freezer. Do I need to let the boys get all the way to 18 weeks to process or can I do them younger like cornish hens? I'm the only person who eats chicken in my family, so not being full size isn't the end of the world. I just don't want to process ten birds all by myself at once.

Thanks!

My daughter got dual purpose sex link (cinnamon queen & black) chicks this week. We've got 10 pullets and 10 for the freezer. Do I need to let the boys get all the way to 18 weeks to process or can I do them younger like cornish hens? I'm the only person who eats chicken in my family, so not being full size isn't the end of the world. I just don't want to process ten birds all by myself at once.

Thanks!
I do them at 16, some people do them at 12 wks and some wait until 6 months

Younger is fine around here! They do not get as large as a Cornish-X ever. I go by which one is the most annoying and he gets to be first on the grill. If they weigh 2 lbs live weight, that is big enough for a nice BBQ on the grill split in half chicken for 2 -- or just you plus leftovers for another dinner.

The beauty of raising your own chickens is you can do it at whatever time suits you.

Since it's your first time, why don't you do one a week starting at 12 weeks, keep records and see what works best for you? Btw, I did an experiment once where I raised as many different kinds of "dual purpose" roosters as I could, and red sex links, 16 to 20 weeks old were easily the best for feed conversion to breast meat and tenderness of dark meat.

I like that idea. Start weekly at 12 weeks and see what suits you the best. We all have different tastes, standards, and goals. See what works best for you.

It's not just age. They grow and mature at different rates so how much meat you get can vary even if they are the same age. Texture and flavor changes as the hormones hit. You may have to change you cooking methods as they age. There are some variables but your experiences can really help you decide what is best for you.

Since it's your first time, why don't you do one a week starting at 12 weeks, keep records and see what works best for you?
Thats about the best advice you can give to a first timer. Everyone has a difference preference and with this method you can find yours. You can even start earlier than 12 weeks if one of them becomes very aggressive at a young age. Remove the trouble makers first.

It's not actually my first time, but I didn't do dual purpose birds before. I raised freedom rangers for meat and I forget what else for laying. It's been a few years. (I was SandraMort before, but can't recall my old password)

It's not actually my first time, but I didn't do dual purpose birds before. I raised freedom rangers for meat and I forget what else for laying. It's been a few years. (I was SandraMort before, but can't recall my old password)
Meat birds are ready younger than your sex-link males will be. I am interested in how they turn out for you. If you want your old name back a Moderator could probably reset your password.

Back
Top Bottom