Dual-Purpose White Egg Layer

3littlebirds

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
After searching hundreds of different chicken breeds, what I've discovered is that there isn't really an ideal dual-purpose white egg layer!
Sure, there are plenty that come close, and many great dual-purpose brown egg layers, but BYC keepers don't have many options in the area of white egg layers.
Now, there is the rare Holland, which is barred with yellow skin and lays white eggs, but it lacks a white-feathered variety which would be ideal for meat purposes.
There is the white Dorking, which has white feathering and lays white eggs (and by the way apparently has great quality meat), but it doesn't have the yellow skin many people prefer on a meat bird.
And of course there are the scores of brown egg layers with white plumage and yellow skin, but then again, no white eggs.
I'm pretty surprised that out of the hundreds of chicken breeds, there is not one that would make both a solid meat bird and a productive layer of white eggs. I would personally enjoy having some variety in egg color other than the usual browns and blues, without having to resort to the more flighty breeds like the Leghorn, while leaving open the option for a meat bird that would look and taste good on the table.
(Actually, there was a white Holland variety developed in the 1950s that fits this bill exactly, but it appears to have gone extinct since then. What a shame
sad.png
)

So, just throwing out an idea in case there are some enterprising chicken breeders willing to give this a try
smile.png

I don't think it would even be that complicated (compared to other breeding projects, that is
wink.png
) considering that there are so many near-misses.
Plus, you'd already have one customer on your waiting list
big_smile.png

The reason none were 'created' is because they already existed: White Games.

Games have always been known for both their egg production and their excellent meat quality (especially when crossed over the Dorking).

Games were always an old farm favorite and most likely the first chickens brought to the shores of America. saladin

Last edited:
i have 2 california whites (california grey x white leghorn ) they dont seem to be flighty like all the leghorns ive seen, i dont know how they would stand up in the meat department tho
lol.png
mine are 3 weeks ....... i could maybe get 4 chicken nuggets a peice i think
lol.png
if i had more land i wouldnt mind experimenting with breeds

Quote:
Well I'll admit I've never kept a Game myself but from what I've heard they're rather aggressive and can cause problems when mixed with other breeds, so they wouldn't really be suitable for most backyard flocks.

If I had more land myself I'd like to try reviving the White Holland, but unfortunately I live in a city/suburb so I can't currently.

I think this is really a niche that hasn't been filled by any current breed, and I'd love to see it filled.

Last edited:
Quote:
Unless you know something that I don't know, I haven't heard of a white Holland even existing today. But if you know of a breeder, speak up!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Quote:
Well I'll admit I've never kept a Game myself but from what I've heard they're rather aggressive and can cause problems when mixed with other breeds, so they wouldn't really be suitable for most backyard flocks.

If I had more land myself I'd like to try reviving the White Holland, but unfortunately I live in a city/suburb so I can't currently.

I think this is really a niche that hasn't been filled by any current breed, and I'd love to see it filled.

The games I have raised weren't that agressive. I have had rir's that were more aggressive to another hen than any other breed I've raised. The roosters are another story but can be kept penned away from other roosters or tied out in the run. The hens are very protective of their young but other hens learn to keep their distance. I think the biggest reason no one is trying to develop a white egg laying DP bird is most people that want to raise chickens for eggs and meat would prefer brown eggs.

Quote:
Unless you know something that I don't know, I haven't heard of a white Holland even existing today. But if you know of a breeder, speak up!!! PLEASE!!!!!

Sorry, what I meant is more "re-creating" it by outcrossing of the Barred Holland to other breeds for white coloration. As far as I know, the white Holland is extinct.

Quote:

The games I have raised weren't that agressive. I have had rir's that were more aggressive to another hen than any other breed I've raised. The roosters are another story but can be kept penned away from other roosters or tied out in the run. The hens are very protective of their young but other hens learn to keep their distance. I think the biggest reason no one is trying to develop a white egg laying DP bird is most people that want to raise chickens for eggs and meat would prefer brown eggs.

Yes, I think that's what it is too, but personally I would like to have a variety of egg colors in my flock.

the APA website has a page that lists the breeds used in creating the holland white, maybe a BYCer w/ enough space and time would be interested in an experimental breeding program ? ........ hint ........hint.............
hu.gif
i would but i cant have roo's, whitch i was told that they are an important part of breeding
th.gif
darn noise ordanance!

Back
Top Bottom