Dual Purpose WHITE egglayer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BarredBuff, Jan 2, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I was just curious is there a dual purpose white egg layer?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Silver Spangled Hamburgs?

At least that's what I'm told. I've never owned one.

I don't know of any white egg laying rooster that could compare with the other heavy, dual purpose breeds.

3. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    I really dont know, use the breed guide at the homepage of byc or go to ur library and rent out a book called poultry breeds, i have it.

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    I was curious because all of the common dual purpose breeds are brown egglayers......

5. Byrdj

Byrdj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Commerce, GA
    Spangled Hamburgs, or any type of Hamburg are considered an egg laying breed. Since they only weigh 4 lbs. when adult, hardly enough meat to be considered dual purpose. You could try Hollands, La Fleche, or Dorkings. Lamonas would be a good choice but are considered extinct by some.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Holland, but it's hard to get one who really lays the white egg they're supposed to lay. They look similar to BRs, but are slightly smaller birds, though definitely larger than the egglaying breed types.

7. ole red

ole red Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    poplar grove, ar.
    buff catalanas

8. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    We eat all the white egg layers [​IMG] so far they all taste like Chicken! Really the only thing is they are not as meaty as a big bird but so many eat too much meat in a meal anyways.Breeds like the Minorca are actually quite large and pretty meaty. Here is one example..he's not a small bird and quite well breasted.Luckily for him he's not dinner here like many others.They also lay very large eggs-xl to jumbo daily all summer until it gets just down right cold..today!
    [​IMG]

9. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    Dorking

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    If you can include the tinted eggs (pale off-white colors) you can add Faverolles and Houdans to the breeds already mentioned. Both were originally bred to be meat birds (in the pre-Cornish-cross era), but are also decent layers.

Kathleen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by