Duane Urch/Turnland Poultry Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by BantamFan4Life, Mar 15, 2016.

1. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Hi,

I placed an order with Duane Urch/Turnland Poultry in mid-January and I've neither received nor heard anything about chicks being shipped. I was wondering if anyone else who has ordered from him could tell me how long it normally takes him to ship chicks. Replies appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Anyone?

3. mothergoose

mothergoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    I have only delt with Duane in person. We have bought mature stock from him and met him at shows to pick up birds. I would just call him, you will get a responce faster that way. They tend to not reply as quickly to emails. If you do not have his number, I can look when I get home and see if I have it somewhere.
    Christie

4. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I called him to place the order, and he said to send it through the mail. So I did, and now 3 months later I haven't heard or received anything [​IMG]

5. mothergoose

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    I would just go ahead and call him. Make sure he recieved the order and see if he can give you an ETA on your order. It definetly can't hurt. Worst that will happen is you won't know any more than you do now...but maybe you will get some answers.
    Good luck,
    Christie

6. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Yeah, I might try that. I'm not a big phone-talker and Duane sounded a little bit cranky/irritated last time I called [​IMG]

7. mothergoose

Jan 12, 2007
    Chebanse, Illinois
    Duanne is a very nice guy, but he is no spring chicken. I imagine the chicken business is getting to be hard for him at his age. We supplies alot of the exhibition birds that Stromberg's sells and he travels all over the country to judge APA shows too. He has alot on his plate and I am not sure how much help he has with it all.

8. BantamFan4Life

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    I figured so [​IMG]

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

He is also here in Minnesota. He might have to wait for the weather to be warm enough to send them without the cold killing them.

I talked to him yesterday and am picking up eggs today from him.

I have not met him but he does seem elderly. He has been doing this since 1958.

10. megshenhut

megshenhut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Central Colorado
    I think you should definitely call him. He has certain hours that he wants to be called in the evening and I would respect that request. I had sent an order in through the mail and never heard from him either. So I called him late February and some of his breeders were not laying yet. He told me to call back in 3 weeks. I did and he said that he wasn't going to have a couple of the varieties that I had originally requested so I changed those to a kind that was doing well. He said that he would be able to fill my order now that I had made those changes. I haven't heard anything more from him, but that was only a week ago. When I called the second time, he checked through the orders he had and we discussed my so he seems pretty organized. I have heard he is elderly and busy, but I've also heard he has good birds, so I'm hoping that working with him will be worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by